Author Topic: Windy Mundy  (Read 6562 times)

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
Windy Mundy
« on: Saturday 10 March 07 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Nearly seventyyears ago I lived in a cottage in Shropshire by the name of Windy Mundy. Can anyone please tell me what Mundy means or for that matter  what does Windy Mundy mean? I do recall seeing the meaning in a Dictonary many years ago, but cannot find it of late.

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
Re: Windy Mundy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 07 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes!It was at Pitchford.Any idea of the meaning?

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 07 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,

Windy Mundy, now theres a name I havent heard for a long time, If you lived in Pitchford ab 70 years ago, there is a good chance you rubbed shoulders with my late father and his lot, They were the " Edwards "family from just up the road in Acton Burnell, big into cricket. 

www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/88/a7454388.shtml - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

I still have surviving relatives living in the area so next time I visit them I will ask how it got ist name,

Best wishes.
Pete.
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 07 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Pete.Look forward to hearing from you at a later date.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 07 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Eric

What a small world!!! My first husband lived in Pitchford for many years, so I'm very familiar with the village.  There are also relations of his living at one of the Pitchford Estate lodges.

Pitchford Hall is very impressive, isn't it? 

Pete, Acton Burnell is another lovely village.  During the Summer I often drive there with my children for a picnic in the grounds of the Castle, and a bit of sunbathing if we're lucky!!!!!

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 March 07 16:42 GMT (UK) »

There's some beautiful interior photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ldodds/sets/72057594093448254/
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 March 07 21:25 GMT (UK) »
It was marvelous to see those photographs of what I believe were  farm buildings at the time I was in the mid 1930S.
I do recall seeimg  in a very old Dictonary some years ago the meaning behind the name. But of late I am unable to find how it got its name. Can anyone please help?
Very many thanks for your kind help.

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 March 07 19:14 GMT (UK) »
hello again

in Shropshire dialect the word "windy" was used to describe something silly or playful.

I don't know of Mundy unless it was a surname of a previous tenant/owner who may of been nicknamed "windy" Mundy.

a mundle is an old word for a ladle,that could be used for skimming the pitch off the water at Pitchford.

all this is pure speculation,but I thought that it might be of some interest.

s.g.d.