Author Topic: WAYMAN & AMORY; Haddenham  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Peter Hyde

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WAYMAN & AMORY; Haddenham
« on: Saturday 10 March 07 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I need help tracking down two individuals from Haddenham.  I have the Haddenham parish register fiche from the Cambs FHS.

Richard AMORY married Elizabeth WAYMAN in Haddenham 21 Dec 1807.  Richard was the son of Richard AMORY and Sarah BOGGIS who married, but were not born, in Haddenham.

So I am looking for a birth of Richard AMORY around 1750.

Elizabeth WAYMAN was consistent in her age on all the censuses and must have been born about 1789.  Certainly not much later because she married in 1807, and she didn’t die until 1872 in Ely, age 85.  She was also consistent in saying she was born in Haddenham.

So I am looking for the baptism of Elizabeth WAYMAN, close to Haddenham in about 1787-89.

The only other possibility for Elizabeth is that she was in fact baptised as Mary Wayman, daughter of the widow Elizabeth Wayman on 27 Jan 1789, and took on her mother’s name sometime before her marriage to Richard Amory in 1807.  I have no idea how I would confirm this.

If anyone has access to parish registers around Haddenham I would be very grateful for a look-up.  Also for any suggestions for further research.

Many thanks

Peter Hyde
Alberta, Canada

Norfolk (Depwade District)- Nudds, Betts, Bush, Websdale
Berkshire (Thatcham) - Hyde/Hide, Pocock
Cambridgeshire - Wayman, Amory, Preece
Suffolk - Nudds, Steward, Greenleaf
Essex (Colchester) Greenleaf

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WAYMAN & AMORY; Haddenham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 March 07 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've checked Wilburton, Stretham, Willingham and Witchford but no luck.

It is possible that Richard snr was born in Haddenham but was not baptised in the Anglican church-according to Charles  Bester's history of the village there were non-conformists in the village from at least 1672.I 've checked the list he gives of Quaker burials in the village but no Amorys however there were other groups of non-conformists around.

Anne

Offline Peter Hyde

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 07 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

Many, many thanks for that - I will widen my search, both in Cambridgeshire and around Brandon, Suffolk where I think Richard AMORY's wife, Sarah BOGGIS was born.

Regards
Peter Hyde
Alberta, Canada

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 07 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Peter

I tried the names Wayman, Amory and Boggis (just in case) in the Wentworth and Witcham Parish Records.

I didn't find the names you were looking for but thought I would pass on the following marriage just in case the wife could possibly be a member of Elizabeth's extended family, in this case a possible gg-aunt?

Witcham Parish Records:

Marriage:  Francis Cumbers to Mary Wayman October 15, 1731.

I like to collect people with the same name from relatively the same area and have on many occasions found at a later date they were in fact related to my direct line.

Are we ever going to get spring here in Alberta :o

dollylee

Offline Peter Hyde

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dollylee

Many thanks for that - the nearby parishes are slowly being eliminated!  Amory is a relatively uncommon name, in 1851 there were only 14 of them in Cambridgeshire, most of them mine - and 140 in the whole country, so I am beginning to think the original Richard came from elsewhere.

Agree with you about the weather here in Alberta - back to winter today!

Regards
Peter

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 16:01 GMT (UK) »
There were still some Amorys in Haddenham when I was a child and I think some of them lived in Hillrow so it might be worth checking Huntingdon records as places like Earith -at the other end of Hillrow Causeway from Haddenham-would have been in Huntingdon then.

Offline Peter Hyde

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne - Hillrow is where some of the births are recorded as happening.  Richard Amory's line disappeared because he only had daughters but his brother, Robert, a farmer, had sons so that would be his line that continued.  I will try to check neighbouring Huntingdon.  Many thanks for that adivice.

Regards
Peter Hyde
Alberta, Canada