Author Topic: Stephenson: South & East Yorks  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stephenson: South & East Yorks
« on: Sunday 11 March 07 19:07 GMT (UK) »
 To the best of my searching, my Stephenson's were from Doncaster. William was born in 1814, Doncaster, and married in 1838 at Cottingham (north of Hull). Brother Henry farmed, Branton, Cantley parish. Other Brother Edwin Carter Stephenson, may of died in childhood. Parents were Wm Stephenson and Alice Carter (married 1811, Cantley Parish). After being in Canada for about 12 yrs, William was killed working for the Great Western Railway - Lambton County, Ont, May 1866.
  The Surnames - Stephenson - Scott - Nicholls - Withernwick --- are all connected in my family. I believe, William Stephenson, Edward Nicholls and Wm Withernwick all married Scott girls , and all left Hull in the 1850's, coming to Hamilton area in Ontario, Canada.
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.