Author Topic: COMPLETED - with thanks finding German relations  (Read 12740 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: finding German relations
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I reckon all the Richters I found in the Qld BMD's are yours (only half joking). There are quite a lot of them though!

Righty ho, here goes:
from the Assisted Immigration book 1848 - May 1884
RICHTER
Hermann age 9 (I think this might be your Herman)
Johann 50
Louise 11
Pauline 9
Wilhelm 13
Gustav 3
Ernst 40 (I think this might be his father)
Ernst 6
Caroline 39 (I think this might be his mother)
Carl 5
Anna 46
Anna 8
Auguste 16 (female)

all on the ship Susanne Godeffroy

arr Brisbane 6 Sept 1865
IMM/113 p 62 Z 1957

(the arrival date and reference information appears to be incorrect as I could not find this family or this ship on this film).

However there IS a Passenger List Book for the ship Susanne Godeffroy which departed Hamburg 6 May 1865 and arrived Brisbane 8 September 1865, and your family are listed on there too.

In the Passenger book is also listed where they were from. All were from Bernau Prussia as you thought, except for Johann age 50, Anna aged 46 and Anna aged 8. They were from Weddingstedt, Holstein. Now with all those Richters on the same ship at the same time, it looks like two related families.

I had a look for Herman's death and found that he died 15 Oct 1824 and his parents are Ernest Richter and Caroline Koch.

In the Dunwich Asylum book I'm afraid there was very little information. Two films were listed by his name - I looked at both of them, but they gave little information either. Unfortunately there was no date or reason for admission. This is all I found in their register of deaths:
Year no: 133
Register no: 88/24
Date of Death: 15-10-24
Cause of Death: Senility
No of grave: 680

I did not find a will for Herman or Elizabeth. I found an intestacy on film for Anna Auguste Richter (maiden name Wisseman) d 31-10-1914 which gave very little info except that she had no children.

I found another intestacy on film for George Richter, "selector", late of North Rockhampton, died intestate, lawful eldest son George Ernest Richter, another son John, married daughter Maria Magdelina Werner.

As I said there are many Richters on the BMD fiche. I don't know if you already have the following:

Elizabeth Caroline Richter
d 9-10-1913
father: Robert Roberts
mother: Emma Campton

Hermann Charles Ernest Richter married Elizabeth Caroline Roberts 3-3-1884

Children born to Hermann and Elizabeth:
Elizabeth Jane 10-9-1890
Margaret Annie 4-2-1893
William George 2-6-1898
Edward Thomas 4-8-1895
Emma Caroline Margaret 15-8-1884
Louise Pauline Augusta born 6-12-1886 died 26-3-1887
Robert Gustave 26-6-1888

I also found this and wondered if this may be the death of Herman's father Ernst?
Ernst Wilhelm Richter
father: Johann Friedrich
mother: Johanne Christine Adler

After I got home I had a thought - I wonder if Herman can be traced through the electral rolls to give an idea when he went to the Asylum? I think I need to know his address for that though - or a suburb at least.

Let me know if you need more lookups - I'm going away soon but would be happy to help again when I return.

All the best.

Offline bridgy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 March 07 00:22 BST (UK) »
Ruskie
You wonderful, generous person.  Spending all this time on my lot!!  I appreciate it more than you know.  Living in NSW, it's hard for us Queenslanders to get info on our ancestors easily.
Have not cross checked all you sent but yes, I'd say most of these Richters are my family, most particularly

Elizabeth Caroline Richter (my g grandmother)
d 9-10-1913
father: Robert Roberts
mother: Emma Campton

Hermann Charles Ernest Richter (my g grandfather)married Elizabeth Caroline Roberts 3-3-1884

Children born to Hermann and Elizabeth:
Elizabeth Jane 10-9-1890
Margaret Annie 4-2-1893 (my grandmother)
William George 2-6-1898
Edward Thomas 4-8-1895
Emma Caroline Margaret 15-8-1884
Louise Pauline Augusta born 6-12-1886 died 26-3-1887
Robert Gustave 26-6-1888

Don't know if I told you but do have a second cousin who has all this info and she refused to share.  Pity she is not like you guys on this forum.
Once again, thank you for all you did.  Will follow up your clues later when I have the time.  Really must leave FH and do another assignment.  One more to go before I graduate but that's another story.
Whereevery you're going have a great time and get in touch when you get back.
Regards and best wishes
Jan
Rossiter, Waldron (Kildare), Kelly, Cox, Dollar (Co Armagh), Bridges, Bennett, Hodgson (Bedfordshire), Roberts (Liverpool), Peirce, Tutton (Somerset), Goodwin, Tomlinson (Lancashire), Lovell ( Midlothian)
Rossiter, Kelly, Bridges, Roberts, Goodwin (Australia)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 29 March 07 00:49 BST (UK) »
You're welcome Jan. If you manage to narrow down where the family lived I'll be happy to check the electoral rolls next month some time or whenever you get back to FH. It was a bit disappointing not to find anything about Herman's admission to Dunwich.

All Herman and Elizabeth's kids went on to marry and have kids, so lots to chase up!

Your cousin does sound a real meany.

Good luck with your assignment/s.

Offline Bethania

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - with thanks finding German relations
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 April 10 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Hopefully, I have tagged on to the correct link.  I am a descendant of Ernst and Caroline Richter.  Ernst (Jnr) is my great-grandfather and brother of Hermann.  I have some information that may be useful to you as to where Ernst (Snr) lived, worshipped and is buried.  Ernst (Snr), Ernst (Jnr), and Wilhelm (another son) are buried in the same place.  I would love to hear from you.

Regards
Bethania

Offline Bethania

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 January 11 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jan

I am related to Hermann Richter (your ancestor).  My grandfather's father was Ernst Richter (Hermann's younger brother).  I have been trying to contact relatives of that line of Richter's for some time without any luck.  Would love to hear from you if you so desire.  My email address is (*).
Thanks
Jean

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 January 11 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Jean.  :)

Jan hasn't been online since June last year but you can send her a personal message (PM). Click on her name and you'll be directed to the page to do this.

(You're not allowed to put your personal email address on rootschat  ;))

It's wonderful that you've found a new cousin. Please pop back to fill us in on any new details about this interesting family.  ;D

Offline Bethania

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 January 11 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Thanks for your help and advice.  As you can see, I am new at this.

Bethania

Offline Bethania

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 January 11 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Ruskie has helped me get in touch with you.  My great grandfather, Ernst Richter is Hermann's younger brother.  I have been trying to get in touch with descendants of Ernst's SNR (my great, great grandfather) for some time with limited success.  I would love to hear from you if you so wish.  Perhaps we can put the jigsaw puzzle together.  Ernst Snr, and Ernst Jnr and  Wilhelm (Hermann's brothers) are buried at Bethania, Queensland.  As for the rest of the siblings, I have limited history and would be wonderful to fill in the gaps.  Obviously, the siblings lived in Bethania for a period of time until they married and went their separate ways.  Also buried at Bethania Lutheran Church are Hilda and Magdalene Richter.  I'm not sure what branch they fit in. 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Jean, I hope you manage to make contact with Jan. Keep in touch.  :)