Author Topic: Can anyone find Samson Sutton please  (Read 1323 times)

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Can anyone find Samson Sutton please
« on: Tuesday 13 March 07 00:56 GMT (UK) »
I have just recieved my grandmothers marriage certificate,she was born in Kent == Harriett Sutton,she married Cornelius White in Portsmouth in 1899. Her father is listed as Samson Sutton fisherman. I searched and searched and the only reference I can find for Samson is in 1881 census, he is listed as a widower living Hastings, aged 61. Any help would be appreciated.
Pandora
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find Samson Sutton please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

According to 1901 Census, Harriet  the wife of Cornelius WHITE, and mother of 1 yr old Eliza Was age 21 and born approx 1880 in Folkestone Kent.

Does her age on marriage cert also indicate she was born around 1880?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,216999.0.html
you say:
Her father was a hawker,traveller, fisherman.
She was born Folkestone Kent ..... married July 1899 her fathers name is listed as Samson Sutton, fisherman. Witnesses are Ebenezer White and Mary Ann Hewett .  Cornelius's parents Ebenezer and Mary White at 8 Warblington Street Portsmouth. This address was confirmed as correct by a cousin.
Her father was a hawker,traveller, fisherman.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,46723.0.html
you say:
I know very little about (Harriet)  except that she came from Kent and was from a gypsy family, and that her family shunned her because she did'nt marry a gypsy.  Some time in later life she married again to an Edward Biggs.

It would be interesting to see who Harriet names as her father on her marriage to BIGGS.  Do you know who the witness Mary Ann HEWETT was when she married Cornelius?

The Sampson SUTTON b abt 1820 Hastings.
He is the one Sam*son SUTTON who comes up with occupation  "FIsherman" -  but I don't think that's enough to settle on him as Harriet's father - especially if he may also have been a "Hawker" and "Traveller" . 

In 1881, that Samson the fisherman is a widower age 61 living in Hastings with his married daughter Emma age 38 (Mrs Jonathon DIBLEY).  In 1891, he appears to be age 72, Fisherman & boarding  with an elderly  couple named MOORE in Hastings (who may be related) ; in 1901, he is 82, a retired Fisherman &  living with daughter Emma who is now age 57 remarried as Mrs Willam DENGATE - in Hastings.

Doesn't look a promising candidate so far?

As for Harriet - what address did she give on the marriage certificate?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Only mentioning these because of the Hastings connection.

The IGI has a couple of extracted marriages for a Samson SUTTON in Hastings, both at St Clements.

1.  to an Ann BALL, 23 Oct 1838
2.  to a Jane SMITH, 23 Jul 1870.

Not sure if they are the same person or father and son, but could be the latter because of a Samson Sutton birth at Hastings Dec qtr 1840.

There are quite a few other Samson Suttons on the IGI in other counties.

Samson Sutton death aged 88 Sep qtr 1907 at Hastings 2b 6

That Samson (indexed as Samuel) in 1871 was 53 with his wife Jane aged 60, a fisherman born Hastings, and deaf.

Ian C

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mlrfn448

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The IGI shows a Sam Sutton born Folkstone 1822, mother My (Mary).

This looks interesting.

There are quite a few Suttons around this time in Folkstone. All the names on the IGI have been abreviated.

He is on the 1841 census 477/28 page 13  age 19, but it is not very conclusive.

Regards,

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly, I just searched out Harriett's death cert. She died in 1953 so that she was born in 1880. By this time she had remarried to Percival Arthur Biggs, but I have no idea when or where, perhaps you would'nt mind looking it up for me, Iv'e searched without any luck. If I could get a marriage cert it would tell me if Sampson was still alive when she married the second time.
Pandora
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 17:56 GMT (UK) »
The address give on Harriett's marriage cert is 8 Warblington St Portsmouth. The address on the death cert is 56 Knighton Rd, Itchen, Southampton. U.D.

Pandora
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent