Author Topic: Look up on 1861 census for Maxted  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Madmax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Look up on 1861 census for Maxted
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I take it these are the Richard Maxted and Mary Hougham that married in Ash on 1-2-1800
I was not 100% sure this was the Richard Baptised in Wickhambreaux on 21-2-1779 as there are two other possible Richard Maxteds born in the same period and area,
Richard Baptised Wickhambreaux 11/3/1781 and Richard Baptised Ickham 12/9/1790.
From the 1851 census he looks the best candidate but do you have any further info thats helps prove its him?
Also do you have a date that his sons left for NZ

Regards Madmax

Offline GrannyFlower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Young Thomas (we'll call him)1809-1890 son of Richard and Mary/ May Hougham/ Haffau, son of old Thomas and Elizabeth Knott, married Emma Griggs, d. of William and Mary Griggs, on the 20th Oct 1838.
Young Thomas, Emma and their eldest 6 children sailed for New Zealand, on the 'Creswell' in 1856. Their 7th child Tristan da Cuhna Creswell Maxted was born on route. They had 2 more sons here in New Zealand. Thomas was a blacksmith as was Emma's father and brother.
The family appears in the 1851 census living at Weeding cottage, Malden Surrey.
Robert Maxted (his brother) is a complete mystery. He died here in New Zealand. His death cert. names Richard and Mary (or possibly May)Maxted as his parents. Mary's  maiden name is spelt Huffau but can't find that spelling anywhere else. A news paper report said that his funeral would leave the home of his brother and gives the address that we know Thomas and Emma were living at. So brother we have to assume he is but as Robert was also supposedly born 1831! and young Thomas 1809 that's a big gap and may be a mistake.
We wonder if (just to be difficult) Robert was not his first name? Any help on this front would be greatly appreciated.
The Richard and Mary Hougham married 1800 are potential parents but if this is the right Richard and Mary or if there is a Richard and May?
I completely and utterly confused by these Maxted folks!

Offline Madmax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 November 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again
It is a little confusing !
The two Richard Maxteds baptised in Wickhambreaux in 1779 and 1781 both had wives called Mary
Your Richard married Mary Hougham in Ash on 1/2/1800 they then seem to have moved to Bridge then Minster
The Other Richard married Mary Morgan in Monkton on 31/5/1814 then lived in Ickham
I am not sure I understand your problem about Robert, you seem to think he was born in 1831 but it appears it was in fact 1821 as he seems to have been baptised in Minster on 1/7/1821 as is confirmed on the 1841 census.
This is not my family line but I made a check of my notes and I think this is correct.

Regards Madmax

Offline GrannyFlower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 November 12 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant! Thank goodness for you and your notes! Madmax.
Mum and an aunty have been gleaning little bits for years but without the proper spellings and birth places it was very hard to know where to look. I don't think they knew about Minster.
Mums has just given me some memoirs from a cousin of hers and he has young Thomas as being born in Dublin in 1801 apparently his father was attached to the British army stationed there and he was 3 years old when they returned to Kent. Perhaps that was the other Richard and Mary He also has Thomas joining the imperial 21st Lancers and becoming Farrier Sergeant but he also has him marrying Emma Currin which we know is not correct. Thomas gives his birth place as Bridge, Kent and we know he married Emma Griggs so don't know where this story originated from but if any one knows any thing about this time with the army I'd be interested to hear.
Heather NZ