Author Topic: Ship lost off Flamborough Head – 1918  (Read 951 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ship lost off Flamborough Head – 1918
« on: Wednesday 14 March 07 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in a ship on which an ancestor was lost during WW1. The ship was lost in August 1918 and was called the Malvina - a merchant ship on it's way from London to Leith. From the little I have gleaned off the internet, the ship was at first thought torpedoed and later thought to have ran into a loose British mine.
I was wondering if anyone local has any knowledge of any sources of further information and if there is any sort of burial or memorial in a local churchyard to those who were killed or drowned? Would there have been any newspaper reports of the incident in local press?
Any information greatfully received.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
  • First meeting with granddaughter
    • View Profile
Re: Ship lost off Flamborough Head – 1918
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 08 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, with regard the Malvina,sank 1.2 miles N of flamborough Head 2 august 1918, torpedoed bt UB104,ship turned in its side and swamped the lifeboats, Capt. Harris and 14 crew were lost out of a crew of 28, the survivers were picked up by a patrol boat and landed at Scarborough, Taken from a book by Ron Young ,"Wrecks of the East Coast, VOL 2 1918-2003. ther is a photo of the ship page 79, 1244 tons carrying 750 tons of cargo. it appears that the ship hit a mine in1916 but was repaired. only saw your post while trawling the posts. Best Wishes Clive
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump