Author Topic: William Richardson of Hightae  (Read 2255 times)

Offline ebocrew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Richardson of Hightae
« on: Wednesday 14 March 07 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if I could firstly take up the offer of an 1841 lookup for lochmaben?

I believe that a william richardson of hightae married a mary birney at gretna in 1796.
I wonder if anyone knows if there were any children for this marriage, and if the family appears on the 1841 census for that area.

Thanks in anticipation

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Richardson of Hightae
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 07 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi ebocrew,

I have a copy of the complete record for everyone resident in the Parish of Lochmaben at the time of the 1841 census.  In it there is reference to a 60 year old William Richardson living at Mosshouse in rural Lochamben Parish along with his wife Mary (who was also listed as being 60) (however, please bear in mind that ages, especially among female adults were rounded down to the nearest 5 years so they could well have been 60-64 in June 1841 when the census was taken).

No children are listed with them in my publication.

You may wish to check online at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see if there was any however.  At least now you know the names and age range to search for.  I undertook a quick search - you get two returns to choose from.

Good luck with your searches.

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline ebocrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Richardson of Hightae
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 June 19 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Kojak,

All these years under the bridge and I have just seen your reply regarding the 1841 census at Hightae.. I'm afraid I am no further on with the speculation that the couple turned up at the Worcestershire Iron works area around 1800. I believe William was a blacksmith when he married and the Midlands Iron and coal and canal industry had taken off? Who knows. Thank you again for your steer.

John