Author Topic: Geddis/Houston  (Read 13699 times)

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Geddis/Houston
« on: Thursday 15 March 07 03:19 GMT (UK) »

would anybody have any knowledge of the Geddis & Houston families living in Belfast from 1896 or before till at least 1915. I have been trying to find anything on my grandparents for the past 9 years. I know many records destroyed & haven't a clue where to go from here. I do know Annie Geddis was living in Belfast with her family at time of 1911 census from a researcher.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Geddis/Houston
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 07 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie Liz,

Can you explain a bit clearer as to what you are seeking?

I will be happy to help you out depending on what you are seeking.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 07 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees,
A bit of a diatribe forthcoming. My mum, Ruth Geddis was born in 1915 @249 Mayo Street, Belfast (died here in Australia in 1998). From a researcher I found that was the address Annie Geddis, her mum b. 1896 was living at the 1911 census. Mum's father as given on her birth cert. was Lewis Houston but mum always claimed they both died when she was a baby & she was brought up by her grandparent John & Margaret Geddis  as a Geddis even though the name Houston as well as Geddis is stated on her marriage cert. until they died, possibly around 1930 when Annie's brother Ernie & his wife took over. Mum always claimed she knew nothing about her parents at all, can't believe she didn't ask questions so have often wondered if some mystery. Again I wondered if they could have died in 1918 flu epidemic but why not tell her that. She lived at various times - from addresses she has written in a wee book - in Banbridge, Lisnaskea & Newtonbutler. My searches @LDS & genealogy society turned up nothing (records destryed apparently) & a researcher @ Ulsterancestry in 2004 turned up nothing either. I give up for a while & then get bitten by the bug again. sorry this is so long. Somebody at rootschat gave me the Ulster Covenant site with Annie's & other family members on it
Regards, Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 07 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi AussieLiz,

I take that you have all the certificates on your Mum's family--or you need a help with finding the certificates.

If you are talking about the censuses, yes--most of them were destroyed. Sad. BUT we still have 1901 and 1911 Irish Censuses to work with.

It all depends on which records you are seeking--some were destroyed but some are still with us.

I empathise with you for having a mum who did not know anything about her parents.

We can work with a little information--hopefully, Rootschatters could help you out!! Please remember this is Irish genealogy--it may take a bit longer to get there!!  ;D

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 07 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Tees,
No, I have absolutely nothing on Mum's family apart from her birth certificate, that is why I just don't know where to go to find anything, I suppose I mainly would like to know did her parents really die when she was a baby or was there something else happened. It could be she was illegitimate of course but I am sure she would have told me unless the shame carried on, those Presbyterians a very strict lot!
Thank you for your interest,
Regards, Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 07 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi AussieLiz,

Have you tried this www.ancestryireland.com?

And this website: www.emeraldancestors.com?

Both are very good websites as long as you confide it to the northern counties of Ireland.

Sounds a possible scenario that your mum's mum made up a father's name to be put down on her birth entry or he was indeed a father but she did not marry to him??

We can try to trace backward first then try to find out what really happened to your grandparents.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 March 07 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie Liz,

Do try the ancestry ireland site first as it has two possible Annie Geddis birth records--to see if the parents matched up or not--John & Margaret.

Then work with the parents' full names off her birth record to find their marriage record--I think they may have gotten married sometimes before 1881.

Good luck with these websites--hope they are of any help to you!

Kind regards,

Tees

PS A thought here--it is possible that they gotten married in Scotland and had Annie there. Worth a try on this website-- www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 07 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees,
From the information I got from the 1911 census John was born in 1852 in Co.Down & from LDS records possibly died 1929 & Margaret was born in 1854 in Co. Down. they were married in 1876 & had a big family. Possibly Margaret was a Craig.
As for Annie according to the census she was born in Antrim, presume Belfast.
Bye, Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 March 07 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie Liz,

On the Ancestry Ireland site, there are 1876 marriage records on John Geddis.

I will check the marriage database on emeraldancestors site to see if there is a marriage entry for him.

Cheers,

Tees