Author Topic: Geddis/Houston  (Read 13698 times)

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Geddis/Houston
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 March 07 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees,
The Irish records only come to the LDS once a year & not for long, I'll have to find out when next due. The reasearcher who found the info on the 1911 only hand wrote the information from it, can you get a print out of the results or just have to copy them?
Hopefully something from familyulster in few days, maybe 1896 same as from ancestryireland & they were no matches, they had nothing for 1895.
Interesting point that you found a marriages for John & Margaret Geddis, the chap I had at Ulsterancestry told me there were only two pre 1900 marriages of a John Geddis married to Margaret registered in Ireland, one in 1882 & one in 1886.  Makes one wonder!!
I'll keep you posted,
Many thanks,
Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 March 07 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie Liz,

I believe you can make a photocopy of the census at the LDS or pay a small fee to have it copied for you. I am not sure how it works--I only "heard" this from other Rootschatters here.

Never tried LDS myself. One of these days I shall try!!

Once a year??? That is terrible!! I was told you just put a order and they deliver the films you want to look at.

I do not know what sources the researchers were using and do not know why they told you.

I am pretty confident the marriage I found for you is the correct one based on the children's ages. (Try to find a marriage within a year or some years before the eldest child).

I would prefer to wait for the results from the www.familyulster.com on the birth indexes look up then work from there. As the birth certificate will tell us who her parents were especially her mum's surname.

I will help you all through the steps. No worries about it.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 March 07 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
You could be right about ordering the films anytime, hadn't thought about that, I'll give them a ring & find out, you are a mine of information! I didn't find anything when searching at LDS but have found lots of things on my Dad's family on their familysearch.org site
Thank you so much for all your help, I really feel I will get somewhere.
Regards,
Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 March 07 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie Liz,

I am glad of help to you.

Do let me know if you need any wee help from me. :)

Quite pleased that you have a load of information on your father's family.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 March 07 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees,
Notice there are acouple of deaths for Annie Houston in 1951 & 1966, might be worth a look later?
BFN,
Liz 

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 March 07 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie Liz,

Yes--hold onto them until we are able to gather enough information to determine if one of them is yours or not.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 March 07 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees,
I just rang the LDS here in Brisbane, they are not too far away from me here & I can go in & order the 1901 census  & get print outs of anything relevant.  It could take 4 weeks to arrive.Makes me wonder why the chap who researched the 1911 one for me did a handwritten copy & not a printout. Not to worry, I'll try & get in on Monday.
Bye again,
Liz

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 19 March 07 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Here I am again Tees, Got indexes back this morning:-

birth index 1895 and 1896 annie geddis

1st quarter
anna may geddis, enniskillen, 2/63

2nd quarter
none

3rd quarter
anne geddis, enniskillen, 2/61

4th quarter
none

1st - 4th quarters
none
As you can see they have got 1986 here, even though the email states results for 1895, 1896 so hope just a typo.
What do you think, on 1911 census she is stated as b.Co. Antrim, is it worth checking the Enniskillen
When I was looking at LDS a few years ago I found a Marianne Geddis b. Antrim 4th qtr. 1896  ref
1 - 679 but was then told  not able to access that. Would I be able to if I sent that  ref. number to GROireland or GROuk (not a lot of faith in the latter, they couldn't work out that Samuel was the same as Sam even with the ref. number when sending for my paternal g.father's birth cert.)
I'm going to LDS this afternoon to order 1901 census, am now feeling that nothing will show, just a mood.
Regards,
Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 19 March 07 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie Liz,

Please do not lose your faith in yourself--we are making a slow but sure progress on your grandmother.

Quite happy that you are going to the LDS centre soon.

I would inform you that it will be a long and hard work--you have to go all through the reels until you get ahold of a right family you are after.

I think we will have to wait until you get ahold of 1901 Irish Census first then we can see what you find.

I think these Annie Geddis births you got are not quite right but please hold onto them until we see the 1901 information.

If 1911 Census stated that she was born in Co Antrim, then these births you got is not yours-- 1894 or 1897 may be hers...

You can order the Irish GRO indexes at the LDS centre, too. Ask for the cost first and figure which is the cheaper--ordering the indexes or with the Family Ulster.

Good for you and you are starting to bloom into a good genealogist. :)

Kind regards,

Tees