Author Topic: Geddis/Houston  (Read 13696 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Geddis/Houston
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 05 May 07 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

No, your grandmother did not died in the childbirth because she did sign the birth entry--if it says Her Mark of Annie Houston--that means the registrar had to sign for her. Also, if she had died in the childbirth--it would be noted on her birth cert--(died in childbirth or simply "deceased")--it all depended on the registrar.

Do tell me how can Ernie's RUC records help you with your Mum? Am I missing something?

I know waiting is hard for you--we need to wait a bit longer and I am sure someone will bound to help you out with the information you are seeking.

I have checked the database on Scotlandspeople--a lot of Geddis and Houston but no sign of your people.

So, that means they did remain in Ireland--but where is the main question.

Church records is our best bet right now as it will partially shed some light on your family.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 05 May 07 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees,
Sending you the relevant part of Mum' birth cert.
Only thought if I knew where Ernie was in any given year might tell me where Mum was as he & his wife looked after her when grandparents died, I might then know when they died,  maybe some information to be found, only a thought.  There probably would not be those sort of records anyway. My mind hops from one thing to another.
Yes I have looked for Scottish stuff too, even a Lewis Houston in Gateshead UK but not right.
With all the help you provide I will get there one day I'm sure
Regards
Liz

Image Removed - Only a small portion of an image may be dosplayed for identification purposed. Copyright_editor

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 05 May 07 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Just had a look at my own birth cert. & it too was signed by the registrar so obviousy common practice.
Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 05 May 07 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Ah, thank you for clearing up on the RUC matter--it does not hurt to ask for the papers on Ernie but I am not sure if they would allow you to have an access to it because you are not a direct descendant?

By the way, re: signatures on birth certs you described to and your comment re: your birth cert helped me a lot. I understand what you are trying to say--guess what? your cert does not have a original image of your birth entry because they scanned the image off the copy of the original register book. The original register book is held at the different location.

My birth cert does not even show my parent's signature either--it was actually handwritten by the registrar by himself. :)

If the birth entry showed it was signed and does not show any "her/his mark of"--it means a person was able to sign.

Why don't you try and get your grandparents' death certs--just to see where they were living?

How old was that LDS submission you saw on the LDS site on your grandparents' deaths? Perhaps someone may be living and possibly assisted you with getting further information? (I will check it out for you after I am done with this reply.)

Do not give up yet--we will get there somehow!!

I have another thought--your Annie may have re-married for the second time which make it a bit harder for us to find her? We just need to follow Lewis Houston. Also, that Annie and Lewis could have gotten married in Dublin--a good distance away from their objected parents?

Have you considered about the emigration aspect? To Canada or America or even Australia without you knowing it.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 05 May 07 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees,
The Presbyterian Historical Society has an email address & I sent one off to them.
I have never seen an LDS submission on my grandparents deaths, I did see one on a John Geddis (gt.grandfather) born the right year & died 1929 but his father wasn't right. There is nobody alive with any information, the last person who might have had died only a few years ago apparently.
You say why don't I get my grandparents death certs. oh how I would love to but do not have a clue as to when that might have been.
Yes, Annie could have been married again, assuming she was married to Lewis in the first place & could have emigrated too, how strange if it was to Australia, might have another look at some of the Australian sites.
You say they could have got married in Dublin away from parents, they perhaps did not object too strongly as Mum was born at the same address in 1915 where the family was living in 1911 & 12, Lewis is supposed to have been living there in 1915 too. All gets very confusing.
I was born in England & only saw Ernie & his wife a few times when we visited when I was  child, I think Mum lost contact with them for a few years, believe she took off when an adult, Ernie was terribly strict.
All a lot of not needed information!
Regards,'Liz

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 06 May 07 03:36 BST (UK) »

All a lot of not needed information!

Hi Liz,

I have to smile at your comment--how true! Yet at the same time, having a lot of info does help to understand the background where your family come from.

My Dad learnt a lot from my research on his family--he finally understand why and how, etc... about his family especially his father. I always thought he knew him until he told me.

Let's hope that the Presbyterian Historical Society will be able to help you out!

Never mind my comments about your gt grandparents--you were correct that there is no info on them on LDS with an exception for John Geddis.

For now, we would have to wait and see what this society has to tell you.

Looking forward when you are able to close the "book" on your mum's family.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Aussie Liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 10 May 07 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees,
Don't know what I just did but lost my reply to you! Try again - I didn't do any good at LDS this morning, no marriage for Annie Geddis/Gaddis or Lewis Houston in years 1910-1916.
No deaths for 1915 or 1916, ran out of time. It will take me a long, long time to go through all the years & that would be assuming I knew Annie's surname if she had married someone else.
I did find a birth for Ennie, presume Annie in the correct 1/4 & year for Annie's birth cert.
Looks like I will have to'close the book' for now until I find another lead, so disappointing.
Regards,
Liz