Author Topic: David Kirkcaldy's Birthplace HELP  (Read 32187 times)

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: David Kirkcaldy's Birthplace HELP
« Reply #99 on: Monday 03 January 11 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Small world! :)
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 03 January 11 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I nipped out and took a couple of photos of the signs over the shop.  However, they are too big to post here. If anyone wants a copy please PM me their email address.
Bob
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline hayalan52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family is all you can take with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi again all,

Leslie did know her Aunty Chris and really liked her. She said she was lovely and yes the Confectionery shop was hers.
Leslie and Jen are 2nd cousins.

Bob; Are you related to the Kirkcaldy's because Leslie has some McIntosh's in the tree?

Leslie is up now and here is what she knows about Christina:
She was a quiet lady and went around a lot with her sister Jean (really Jane). They never married and that is probably why they spent time together. Leslie felt that Jean overshadowed Chris. She also has photos of the two of them together (several).
Chris never wrote but Jean did and was the provider of most of Leslie's original family history info on the Kirkcaldy family. Jean was the oldest of all the children and Leslie feels that is why she probably kept the information and kept in touch with us here in Australia. After Jean died in 1984  Isabell Scott (nee Kirkcaldy) took over writing. She was the last of the sisters children except for Robert Dempster still living. Isabell died the same year as Leslie's dad, Robert, 1996.
As for the shop Leslie thinks it had already been sold when she was there in 1976. Chris had already retired by that time. Leslie is not sure if Chris had the shop before WW2. She thinks Chris and Jean worked together in another shop selling clothes.
The confectionery shop is across from Jubilee Buildings which is where the Kirkcaldy's lived. Jean was still living there until she died in 1984.
Chris lived above the confectionery shop but Leslie is not sure if it was directly above. Her reason for this is that from Chris's flat she could not see Jubilee buildings and to get to the flat they had to go along from the shop then up a stairway.
My view from looking at the photos of Jean and Chris is that Leslie looked a lot like them or that there was a definite family resemblance.
Here are 2 photos of Chris. In the one with her sister Jean and niece Margaret taken about 1976 and the other of herself taken about 1980 about 3 years before she died.
 :)

Cheers,

Alan & Leslie
Ballingall, Bett, Bond, Campbell, Clark, Colvil, Dempster, Douglas, Falconer, Gulland, Johnston, Keith, Kinnell, Kirkcaldy, Knox, Law, Lumsden, Marr, Meldrum, Morris,  Mowat, Ness, Nicolson, Scott, Smart, Smith/Smyth, Spooner, Syme/Sim, Taylor, Tracey, Urquhart, Walton,

Offline jacqw

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 30 April 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
I am looking into the family line of the Kircaldy's. I think I may have some links with the family.  Would be interesting to find out.

Offline sarnia23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 30 April 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqw
why dont you post some details see if we can help i am a kirkaldie by birth