Author Topic: MILLS from Ireland - Help Please  (Read 1055 times)

Offline N0BBY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MILLS from Ireland - Help Please
« on: Thursday 15 March 07 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone
I wonder if anybody could assist in anyway in regards to finding where my GGG Grandparents came from?
There names are William Mills and his wife Mary Ann Mills - unfortunately I dont know her surname - hence the reason for assistance on here.
I'm fairly confident that William married Mary in Ireland before they came to settle in Manchester sometime before 1855, before their first child Margaret Emily was born who's listed as being born in Manchester on the 1861 census.
William died in 1880 aged 50 hence born around 1830 and Mary Ann died in 1891 aged 56 born around 1834/1835.  Their ages before the birth of the first child would indicate a marriage in Ireland before moving to Manchester. In 1855 Mary Ann would have been 20/21.
Any help/tips would be appreciated
Thanks
Phil

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MILLS from Ireland - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 07 23:52 GMT (UK) »

Margaret Emily's birth certificate of 1855-1861 will give mothers maiden name.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 07 01:09 GMT (UK) »
hello phil, welcome to rootschat. does the census of 1861 give margaret emilys age. do you know what part of manchester they lived.

kind regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline N0BBY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 07 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pauline and Mary
I must admit it had completley slipped my mind of ordering a birth certificate to get the mothers maiden name....it was late last night!
However of the 10 children it appears they had - I've only via FreeBMD managed to get a 100% confirm on one of the kids (the last one) so I could order that to get a confirm.
On the 1861 census Margaret Emily is listed as Lancashire,Hulme,Manchester aged 6
There could be some link though with some other Mills's that are 2 doors down on the 1861 census - they are around 60 and were Mills from Ireland (William and Jane) and are living with what's listed as 2 grandchildren aged 12 and 3 born in Lancashire,Hulme,Manchester and Lancashire,Openshaw,Manchester - possible link?
Thanks Phil