Author Topic: Passenger lists  (Read 1089 times)

Offline cass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Passenger lists
« on: Friday 16 March 07 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Are there any passenger lists for people moving from Ireland to England? Not sure which part of Ireland but think County Down. They ended up in Cumberland (Workington) after 1881 census and before 1889. I am looking for James and Edward Fagan (Fagen). Cass
Cumbria - Whitfield, Fagan, Murphy, Sloan, Weighman, Ousby, Brunskill
Hampshire - Alford
Ireland - County Down - Fagan, Murphy
Kidderminster - Whitfield

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger lists
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 March 07 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Are there any passenger lists for people moving from Ireland to England? Not sure which part of Ireland but think County Down. They ended up in Cumberland (Workington) after 1881 census and before 1889. I am looking for James and Edward Fagan (Fagen). Cass

Hiya Cass,

If there are any they may well be sitting in a box in an archive in goodness knows where gathering dust. Most people tend to say there are no lists for passengers travelling from one part of the British Isles to another part. It might be possible to look at lists of people who sailed on a ship bound for America, Australia, Canada or New Zealand which stopped at a port in Britain to collect more passengers... if they were not listed as arriving in one of these countries and had not died during the voyage then you might be able to assume they had stopped in Britain. In fact, having said that some Irish people travelled to specific ports in Britain where they boarded ships for America and other places. A great many people sailed on small ships from a large number of ports around Ireland ... I doubt that the crew on those ships would have bothered about lists ... they would have been only too pleased to get a few shillings for the passenger's fare.

All the Best,

Chris