Author Topic: hayes family  (Read 22729 times)

Offline helenc1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hayes family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 April 09 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Harry. Quite a bit of info to filter there.

Where do you fit into all this searching - you are obviously a 'Hayes' are you in the lake district or now further a field and what is your relationship to the Jane you are searching for?

Helen

Offline harryhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 19 April 09 23:31 BST (UK) »
    I am a Hayes, with variations over the years.  I,m in Warrington.
Wm Hayes was born to Wm and Mary, Cheltenham 1803.  That is the full entry.  Wms and Mary were all the fashion.
The younger William vanishes till he married Mary Camm of Lancaster in 1832 in Kendal.  He calls himself
William ARKLEY Hay, later changed to Artley (think soundex) and he is a Hayes again.

He has a son Thomas, also Richard , James and Charles and Jane 1939 -  all in Warrington 1841 and 1851. By the 1861 Jane has disappeared off the map and the family are back in Lancaster, with Dixon ( the name of Mary Camms mother) in Sun street.
Thomas is a gardener in Kendal for the rest of his life.  James a groom in Kendal.  William and Mary are buried in Lancaster.  Charles was book-binder in Lancaster.  Richard never went far from Manchester.
I can find a marriage for a Jane which fits, but I am fairly certain that one was born in Aspull.
ARKLEY must mean something and would give me a clue as to the brick wall which is Wm and Mary senior.  What were they doing in Cheltenham?
To throw in another red herring, there is a Hayes connection through a William and Jane Hayes, 1814 Lancaster, and eventually the Newton family and Charles Hayes as above.

Happy days

An enigma wrapped up in a puzzle.

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 April 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
helen
i dont think ive asked you what your link to Jane is?

Offline helenc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 April 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Corrine
Jane is my great great grandmother. The line goes down through her daughter Margaret, sister of Mary Jane who is your link.  Margaret married Mossop Thomlinson and had a daughter called Margaret who married a Pattinson. My grandad was Roger Pattinson (known as dodger) who was a local charachter in Egremont - good at gurning at the crab fair, distilling his own whisky and laying trails for the hounds. My mum's sister Margaret Pattinson (lived in Egremont) unfortunatley died last year taking with her a lot of the family knowledge. At work at moment so will put more on later

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 April 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
helen
a little confused! margaret married mossop tomlinson?
do you have your tree listed anywhere?
where do you live?

Offline helenc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 April 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry Jane married Mossop! I was at work!

I live in Leeds. My mum was brought up in Egremont as a girl although she left when she was 14. Her sister stayed and still has family there. What about you?

I have only been doing this 1 week so not quite got a lovely tree yet. Would you like a picture of Jane - I can get a copy

Helen

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Oh my god, i would love a picture of Jane! I have a really nice picture of Mary Jane Tomlinson with her husband John Hodgson and their 5 girls if you would like a copy of that?
So is it Janes daugther, Margaret who is your link?
I live in Kendal, born and bred. Ive moved around the country a bit but ended up back here. My dads side of the family are all from the Cockermouth, Egremont, Workington area and mums side are Ulverston, Windermere. So we havent moved around a lot at all!
my email is (*)
I look forward to receiving the pic.
Corinne

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline helenc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
- Be warned she looks a bit severe!

Yes Margaret is the link - Jane lived with Margaret in Egremont at the end of her life.

My mum asked me to find out more about her - particularly the story that she tolled the bell at Wordsworth funeral. The dates are spot on for this because Wordsworth died in 1850 and we know Ann was at the rectory in 1851. Apparently towards the end of her life she lost her sight and used to send the grandchildren to Grasmere Church yard to put their arms around a tree planted in Wordsworth memory and the grandchildren had to come back and tell her how big it had grown - not sure which tree though!

Mum is going to get copies of the photo and I will get them to you.

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 15:48 BST (UK) »
forgot i couldnt show my email on here!
i have seen some very scary photos on my travels of various ancestors, they didnt smile much back then!!
my mum cant remember much at all about the family, she keeps saying "it was never talked about"
It will be interesting to see if Jane has the same characteristics of that side of the family. All the women had long drawn faces and were very thin! Until me!!
corinne