Author Topic: Please help to find my Farquhars  (Read 3268 times)

Offline marysma

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sofia--3yrs on
    • View Profile
Please help to find my Farquhars
« on: Friday 16 March 07 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I am trying (without much success) to confirm a birthate for my
             g,g,grandmother.

She was Margaret Farquhar born 1832 Portgordon,Enzie,Banff.

Her parents according to the LDS,were Peter Farquhar and Helen
             Reid.

There was also a sister named Helen who was born about 1828.

I have done a number of searches on S/People but can't find her
             anywhere.

Any suggestions.

Regards

mm

Horn/Horne,Johnston,East Lothian
Horn/e, Farquhar,Shanks,Reid,Geddes, Banff and Buckie

Petrie--Moray/Portgordon
Shanks,Moray

Morgan,Peirce,Thomas,Branch,South Wales

Crimmins/Crimin, Ring, Co,Cork.

Flynn-- Dungarvan,Waterford,Ireland.
Christopher, Waterford

Pride and Long ,Newington Bagpath,Glous,England.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Please help to find my Farquhars
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 07 01:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying (without much success) to confirm a birthate for my g,g,grandmother.
She was Margaret Farquhar born 1832 Portgordon, Enzie, Banff. Her parents according to the LDS,were Peter Farquhar and Helen Reid.
There was also a sister named Helen who was born about 1828.
I have done a number of searches on S/People but can't find her anywhere.

Yes. Have a look at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp for her, and you will find a listing of a Margaret Farquhar, daughter of Peter Farquhar, Portgordon, born 16 June 1834, reference MF (for microfilm) A (meaning church registers) Rh (meaning Rathven) and 3 (number of the film). I am unsure exactly which denomination MF A Rh 3 is, but it's not Church of Scotland, which is why it's not in SP. It could be Roman Catholic as there were and are a lot of RCs in Enzie.

The same source lists the birth of Helen Farquhar on 24 September 1828.

The LDS listing is 'submitted' so is possibly based on an estimate of her date of birth from a marriage or the birth of her first child.

The 1841 census transcription lists the family in Portgordon, Hellen Reid with Christina Reid, 15 and children Hellen, 12, John, 10, Margaret, 7 and William, 4. The name 'Widow Farquhar' is crossed out against Hellen's name, so presumably Peter died some time between 1835 and 1841.

MF A Rh 3 also lists the birth of John on 16 February 1831 but not, apparently, William.

Hope this helps
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline marysma

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sofia--3yrs on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

once again,thanks for your help.

The Farquhars you have found ,are the right one's.

Margaret and her sister Helen were baptised in the Arradoul Episcopal Church,which I think is in Enzie,is this the reason I can't find the births on SP,would the  registers for this church still exist?

Many thanks
MM

Petrie--Moray/Portgordon
Shanks,Moray

Christopher, Waterford

bervonian

« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 07 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi MM,

Hope you don't mind me poking my nose in Forfarian. Yes, the Old Parish Registers only record Church of Scotland baptisms and marriages. There are two websites which may be of some interest, the first being rgu-sim.rgu.ac.uk/history/family_history.htm.  The second is rgu-sim.rgu.ac.uk/history/2005_version.doc and appears to have the Register of Baptisms of the Episcopal Church at Arradoul 1761-1835.
Annoyingly, it won't download !  The Church was built about 1788.

Bervonian.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 07 17:12 BST (UK) »
I happened to be in Elgin today with half an hour to spare so I took out MF A Rh 3, which is indeed a microfilm copy of the registers of the Arradoul Episcopal Chapel from 1761 to 1835.

"1828, Septr 25. Peter Farquhar in Portgordon had a daughter (born Septr 24th) baptized named Helen. The father, Willm and Anne Clarke in Moss-side of Golachy (where the child was baptd) sponsors.

"1831, Feb 27. Peter Farquhar in Portgordon had a son (born Feb 16th) baptized named John. The father, William and Anne Clark in Golachy sponsors.

"1834, June 21. Peter Farquhar in Portgordon had a daughter (born June 16th) baptized named Margaret. William Clark in Golachy and Anne his sister, sponsors, the father being absent."

The register fizzles out after 1834 into a table of some baptisms, marriages and burials in 1835-6, but there is no more mention of Farquhars.

HTH
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline marysma

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sofia--3yrs on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 07 16:12 BST (UK) »

How fantastic is that!!!

Thank you so much Forfarian--above and beyond the call of duty!!.

This is very exciting to have the exact dates of birth.

Is the Arradoul church still standing--as I will be paying my first ever visit to Scotland in 2wks time,and will be having a look around Portgordon.

Thanks again.

MM

Petrie--Moray/Portgordon
Shanks,Moray

Christopher, Waterford

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 March 07 19:09 BST (UK) »
Is the Arradoul church still standing--as I will be paying my first ever visit to Scotland in 2wks time,and will be having a look around Portgordon.

I don't think it is - I can't visualise a chapel at Arradoul. Curiously, the only information in http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp about it is the register of baptisms, marriages and burials, and the death of the minister, Alexander Shand, in 1834. (Maybe that is why the register fizzles out in 1834.) There is no further information about Alexander Shand either.

The Statistical Account of Rathven (1792-3), written by the Church of Scotland minister of Rathven, George Donaldson, says, "There are other two clergymen in the parish, Mr Reid and Mr Shand. Mr Reid resides at Preshome, where he has lately built a neat and well finished chapel, for the accommodation of the Roman Catholics in the parish. Mr Shand lives at Arradoul, and has one chapel in his neighbourhood for the Episcopalians of this parish, and another at Fochabers, where he officiates once a fortnight in summer, and once in 3 weeks during the winter season. Both these gentlemen conduct themselves with the greatest propriety. As they are much respected by their hearers and acquaintance, they are comfortable lodged, and decently supported. Each of them has a small farm, which, by skillful [sic] management, yields pleasure and convenience."

The Episcopal church in Fochabers is still active. It is just possible that there may be some historical records there about the Arradoul chapel, but I cannot say for certain.

Offline marysma

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sofia--3yrs on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 March 07 20:30 BST (UK) »

Thank you for that information Forfarian--I will certainly visit the church at
Fochabers,and ask about the registers,

Cheers

MM

Petrie--Moray/Portgordon
Shanks,Moray

Christopher, Waterford