Author Topic: 5th Connaught Rangers & Provost Corps  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
5th Connaught Rangers & Provost Corps
« on: Saturday 17 March 07 10:15 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was with the 5th Connaught Rangers in WW1. He was issued with a Clearance Certificate (DAPM class FF 10th Division) issued Abbassia 28.10.1919. What does this mean?

His Army discharge is dated 23.12.1919, and he was discharged from 24.11.1919. Does that mean that's when he left the Army?

Then there was a Dispersal Certificate, 24 11 1919. Apparently this says he was last serving with Provost Corps.

He was in Egypt, Alexandria District -- Military Mounted Police Department, I think. Can anyone tell me if this means it was with the British Provost Corps i.e. British Military Police? And how would I find out about this?

Thanks,
Jamie
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 5th Connaught Rangers & Provost Corps
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 07 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamie,
I think the DAPM refers to the army abbreviation for Deputy Assistant Provost Marshall.
Other than this I cannot add.
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry missed this one out! The FF stands for Frontier Force.
Try looking in the digger history site
www.diggerhistory.info/pages-asstd/abbreviations.htm

Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 07 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Brian. I've had a look at the digger history site, but must look again —there's a lot on it.

What interests/intrigues me is that it looks likely that my grandfather (Ernest William SMITH) served with the Australian Provost Corps. He was certainly qualified to join it. I am wondering how to get details of the men who belonged to the APC. And, maybe, the Australian War Memorial might be able to help. I'd just like to be able to verify that he was with them. And it does look as though there was only one branch of Military Police in Egypt at the time, the APC.

I wonder if British members of the APC would be paid by England or by Australia?

Jamie
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 07 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamie,
As a little background to the APC you could look up the following site which outlines the growth of the corps in Egypt during WW1

http://home.iprimus.com.au/buckomp/ANZACProCorpsEgyptPalestine191618Story.htm

Brian

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 01:38 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look at that site, Brian. However, I asked the Australian War Memorial where the records of the APC might be, and gave them the details I've outlined above. The reply came that there  is no 10th Division of the Australian Provost Corps. So it appears that my grandfather, who was English, must have served in a British MP group.

I've contacted the National Archives (UK) to ask if they can point me in the right directiion. When I hear, I'll let you know of any success.

Thanks,

Jamie