Author Topic: looking for MAGGIE GRANT, Bridge of Brown  (Read 10642 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: looking for MAGGIE GRANT, Bridge of Brown
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 February 09 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi esKirrie

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

What a fantastic description of the area, you've painted quite a picture in my head!

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline esKirrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 February 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Glad about that. Another thought. If the families you are talking about were Catholics and Maggie was also one of the Catholic Grants then it is quite likely that the arrangements would have been made via the parish priests. This is an area where Catholicism survived with the help of the local Protestants despite rivalries because most families had and have members on both sides, Grants were and still are leading members of the Catholic community but there were and are Grants who are members of the Kirk. This applies to many families with long histories in the area.

Offline Jackson_search

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick note....

I was fortunate to visit the Brig o Broun this past July.  Maggie Grant's home, where my Gramma lived, is fenced off by the current owner so we couldn't get too close.  But we did stand and stare and imagine my Gramma as a child living there and washing cloths in the stream, riding her bike down the steep hill etc ..  We walked on the old original bridge.  I climbed down to the stream and was even stung by some Nettle... it left a reminder of the area for quite a while ....
We also walked over to the gorge.  So people were sliding down through it as part of an eco tour.  My Gramma and her sister used to catch fish there.  The trout or salmon would be jumping up through the water.  One sister would bat them out and over to the shore where the other sister would have to catch them.....
We also climbed to the top of the hill above the Bridge and have some incredible photos .... and wet boots .....
JACKSON - Islington, Hampstead, Ely
DOWNS - Stamford
THORPE - Fairlight, Sussex
McDONALD - Glasgow, Tomintoul
MUTCH - Fraserborough

Offline ukrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi you could try brig' o' broon thats what its known as around this area.

Regards Rosemary