Author Topic: Curran - Help me knock down my brick wall!  (Read 1205 times)

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Curran - Help me knock down my brick wall!
« on: Saturday 17 March 07 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Can anyone help me please!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm looking for Tobias Curran.
His wife Mary b. c 1824, daughter Eliza b. c 1844 and son John b.c 1848 are in Durham, England in 1861.  Mary is listed as a widow and they are all from Ireland.
Both John and Eliza's marriage certs have their father as Tobias Curran and there is a Tobias Curran on Griffiths in 1852 in Carlow.  But I can't get past this, can anyone put me out of my misery?
Here's hoping ???
Suziq
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Curran - Help me knock down my brick wall!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 07 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suziq,

I hate to break this news to you...

1) How do you know that Tobias Curran in Carlow is yours from the Griffith's?

2) When doing a Irish genealogy, one has to know which county the ancestors came from even better if you have a name of townland to go on as it will narrow the searches.

3) Unfortunately, you only have Ireland as the birthplaces on the English censuses which is not exactly helpful. HOWEVER, if your ancestors settled with other Irish people in the neighbourhood--do stroll through the censuses to see if there is any particular county being listed as a birthplace as it may clue you in where your ancestors may had come from. From this reasoning, many times--Irish would settle down with their "people" from same area back in Ireland--it can be same county, or same townland even a village. Here's to hoping you find a county in the neighbourhood.

I have two Irish ancestors who settled in England and there is no clue for me to follow up on as they were born in the Pre-Civil Registration era. I am basically stuck with the names and their ages and their birthplaces as only Ireland. However, the censuses they were in and the people they settled down with were mostly from the North of Ireland but no county to go on. (This is from someone who did heavy researches on particular neighbourhood my ancestors were in and told me about it. Unfortunately he could not help me with which county..but knows they were from that part of Ireland because of other records yet it does not mean it is strong enough to rely on.)

This is the perils of doing Irish genealogy.

I wish you the best of luck and every success in finding your ancestors from Ireland.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 07 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees
Thank you for replying.  I'm hoping that Tobias in Carlow is mine mainly because in the 1901 census John Curran stated that he was from Co. Cairo and as there is no such place I hoped that as Carlow is phonetically similar it could well be the right person and place but it is just conjecture at the moment which is why I need all you wonderful people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will look at the neighbours to see if there is any clues there as well.
Many thanks
Suziq
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 07 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suziq,

That is wonderful!! Not so many Irish would list their birthplaces so specific!

It sounds about right--Cairo can sounds phonetically as Carlow--ask anyone here to tell you if it is close enough.

Why don't you try a heritage centre in Co Carlow to see if they can come up with his baptism entry showing his parents (we have this information from two sources: his marriage certificate & censuses showing who is his mum).

If they were able to come up with it, then ask nicely if they can further research on his parents' baptism entries & marriage entry along with other siblings' baptism entries.

As someone once told me, if you do not venture and nothing to be gained!!  ;D

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 07 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tees
Now my next question, you knew there would be one didn't you?
Any idea how to contact the heritage centre?
Many thanks for your support and help.
Suziq

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 07 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suziq,

Here is the contact info:

Carlow Genealogy Research Centre
The Old School
College Street
Carlow Town, Co Carlow
Ireland Tel/Fax: 353-503-30850
E-mail: carlowgenealogy[-at-]iolfree.ie
http://www.irishroots.net/Carlow.htm 

Better start with your John's baptism entry. Just to see how good service they can give you.

Be brief and clear and to point when asking for the baptism entry. Do not go into narrative writing.

Kind regards,

Tees