Author Topic: McCann roots in Enniscorthy  (Read 3268 times)

Offline trishb

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCann roots in Enniscorthy
« on: Saturday 17 March 07 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am trying to find some family background for the McCann family in Enniscorthy. I am due to come over in the Summer butwant to find out as much as I can prior to my holiday. 

The family lived in John St if that is of any help at all.

Thank you

Offline sarahsean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: McCann roots in Enniscorthy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
You wouldn`t happen to have any Fannings in your family tree would you? My husband is a McCann, all his ancestors seem to have come from Co Dublin but two of them married Fannings from Wexford. (Do not know where in Wexford).

Felix McCann b1832-1903 m Kate Fanning b1841-1911 lived in Kingstown (Now Dun Laoghaire).

Also Patrick McCann m Margaret Fanning from Wexford 1885 living in Cournelscourt Dublin.

You never know there may be some link there, if not well good luck in trying to find your McCanns!

Sarah
Dowding
Hall
Butt

Offline john whelan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 12 19:53 GMT (UK) »
There was a  carpenter named pat  mc cann who had a workshop in the island road who used to live in st johns..I think that he had two sons.The shop was  next to the boys club formerly the old  CBS school. Your best bet would to try an notice in the local Enniscorthy papers i.e. The  Enniscorthy Echo or The Enniscorthy Guardian with a contact number for people to get in touch with  you.  If you do this you may strike lucky, it may save you a lot  of time. What have you got lose by doing so ?. Best of luck.  John Whelan formerly of Island Road

Offline john whelan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 December 12 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Some weeks ago I got a postcard dated 1913 of a view of the Island Road  showing  a view across the river Slaney  of Roches Maltings  Stores then M.J. Whelans pub < where I was born>  then The CBS school  then the shop where Pat McCann had his work shop in the 1950s at the front of John Brynes yard  the O Riellys house  then the Stephens  ?  house Then the house of Sonny Grace the blacksmith then the River Lane The last 3 families lived in these 3 houses in the 1950s and 60s. Some time after the post card was photo was taken my Grandfather M. J.Whelan built a workshop on the riverbank  and that was the end of this view of the Island road. If you or anybody else  would like to have a picture of this  you are well come to send me an e mail at *  and I shall send you one

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 22 11:48 BST (UK) »
Im looking in to my great great grandfather Richard Mccann. In 1901 he lived in New Street and was a Tailor. His fathers name was Aidan but apart from that little is known.
 I came across a Felix mccann in my research, i believe it was a marrage in a place called balinamona. His fathers name was hard to make out but it may have been Aidan, though maybe not. Ill try to find it again and post it if i can.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 September 22 21:02 BST (UK) »
Im looking in to my great great grandfather Richard Mccann. In 1901 he lived in New Street and was a Tailor. His fathers name was Aidan but apart from that little is known.
 I came across a Felix mccann in my research, i believe it was a marrage in a place called balinamona. His fathers name was hard to make out but it may have been Aidan, though maybe not. Ill try to find it again and post it if i can.

Is this his family in 1911 - tailor, New St? Pretty sure it must be.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003568196/
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 September 22 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, i cant open the census link he is on new street though, must have been 1911 census, the 1901 census then hes on the ross road.
 I have dog licence and petty court sessions going back to either 1887 or 1897 in enniscorthy when he was about 21 but before that ive no record as to where he came from.
 I have the mariage cert which says his father was aidan but he was married in st aidans. Fathers name could possibly be fake.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo