Author Topic: 1901 Census look up - Maggie Grant  (Read 12272 times)

Offline Jackson_search

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 Census look up - Maggie Grant
« on: Sunday 18 March 07 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for the occupants of the home next to the Bridge of Brown.  It might be a tea room and craft shop today. 
Bridge of Brown, Tomintoul, Ballindalloch, Banffshire,  AB37 9HR

My orphaned McDonald ancestors were taken in by a Maggie Grant.  They lived with her from about 1907 until about 1920.  The only other information was that Maggie Grant was a Spinster.
JACKSON - Islington, Hampstead, Ely
DOWNS - Stamford
THORPE - Fairlight, Sussex
McDONALD - Glasgow, Tomintoul
MUTCH - Fraserborough

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census look up - Maggie Grant
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 07 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, the 1901 Scottish Census is only available on the pay to view site Scotlands People. You can only search the index by surname, not address.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 07 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a different approach would be to look for deaths in Tomintoul of Margaret Grants. Between 1920 and 1956 (cut-off date to view images on line on SP), there are only two deaths showing of a Margaret Grant without additional surnames (normally implying they were married):

1946   GRANT   MARGARET age 69    @ KIRKMICHAEL   /BANFF   160/01 0003   

1943   GRANT   MARGARET ANN   age 60   @ TOMINTOUL   /BANFF   160/02 0006

I'll have a quick look now at the 1891 Census (available through another index) and see if anything jumps out.

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 07 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Two main households coming up in the 1891 census, with a Maggie (rather than Margaret) so happens!

Margaret Grant    42, postmistress, b. Kirkmichael
Maggie Grant    13
Alexander Grant 10
Donald Grant    5

Address: Bridge of Avon, Kirkmichael

and:

John Grant    64, Farmer and Registrar
Jane Grant    50
John Grant    20
Mary Jane Grant    18
Peter Grant    16
Charles Phillips    15
Elsie Maggie Grant    14
Catherine Isabella Grant    13
William Alexander Grant    9
Charles Grant    7

Address: Fordmouth, Tomintoul, Kirkmichael

Both households seem very respectable and upstanding! Whether they are the right Maggies, you would still need to verify. Hopefully, you have some additional info for background.

Offline Jackson_search

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 07 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica.

I'll keep a record of these just in case.  Unfortunately I don't know anymore about Maggie.  I tried looking up burial records as well but it was really just a shot in the dark.  There were a couple of possibilities but since I don't know when she was born I'm only guessing at the results.  I'll go ahead and look though Scotspeople and see what comes up.

I would also like to add that there must have been some sort of family connection to her.  My McDonald ancestors were sent to live with Maggie when both their parents died in separate accidents in Glasgow.  It seems a drastic move to be sent all the way up to Tomintoul.  Perhaps when I can make better headway finding my McDonald relatives I'll find the answer to Maggie Grant.

By the way, can you tell me what local cemeteries I should concentrate on ? 
JACKSON - Islington, Hampstead, Ely
DOWNS - Stamford
THORPE - Fairlight, Sussex
McDONALD - Glasgow, Tomintoul
MUTCH - Fraserborough

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 07 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, not an expert on the local cemeteries - hopefully someone else can comment.

Regards.

Monica  :)

Offline Tewkesburyboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
We have known close family (McIntoshes) living in a croft very close to Bridge of Brown, Banff, only a few miles from Tomintoul) and we have also found the curious young 'boarders' from Glasgow. In this small area in 1901 we found there were 17 Glaswegian youngsters:
14 children at school boarding with a total of 5 families, one 2-year-old and 2 lads aged 15 working on farms.
So we would be very interested if anyone can find out how this came about. It's a different matter from the WW2 evacuees which was a govenrment scheme.

Offline allymcguigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:05 GMT (UK) »
as regards the large numbers of boarders form glasgow. many of these if not all were placed in this area by the glasgow parish poor relief. i have discovered this researching this into my own grandfathers past arthur mcguigan. he was boarded in incnacape farm by widow gordon. boarding out was a common practice as opposed to keeping people in poor houses in scotland (although this still went on). it was seen as a way of taking young people away from the "corrupting" influences of the slums and giving them "work experience" on farms. many of the boarders sent to tomintoul and the surrounding area were catholic and it was the case that there was a convent in this area at the time and a catholic school in tombae i think. i would be interested to here if anyone has additional information on the experiences of these young people in the area between 1898 and 1908. if you want access to the parish poor relief records for glasgow you should visit the archive room in the mitchell library in glasgow. the records often contain details on the circumstances why the relief was given.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 February 10 16:35 GMT (UK) »
many of the boarders sent to tomintoul and the surrounding area were catholic and it was the case that there was a convent in this area at the time and a catholic school in tombae i think.

The Glenlivet area continued to have a strong Roman Catholic population right through the 18th century, when there was a clandestine seminary (not quite a convent) at Scalan where young priests were trained, and there is still a significant proportion of Roman Catholics in the area. There are RC churches at Tomintoul, Tombae and Chapeltown in the Braes of Glenlivet.

See http://www.scalan.co.uk/ for fascinating information about Scalan. Photographs also at http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ2419
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.