Author Topic: Is this family Baker part of your family?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline The Badger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this family Baker part of your family?
« on: Sunday 18 March 07 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I hope some one can help me with this, in my research of officers that have served in the constituent forces of Cambridgeshire Constabulary. I have acquired a copy of a PC photo which I believe to be of an Isle of Ely Constabulary policeman. It shows him with his wife I presume and his children.
The card was sent to
Mr F Baker 11 Mount Terrace  Lynn Rd Wisbech
Stating that Eva had heard from Fred who had rejoined his Regt. And moved from Ypres.
It is signed your Loving Daughter Eva.
Is Eva Daughter? Daughter in Law?
Fred in army 1914 to?
 From my enquires I have come up with the following information,
There was one Baker serving in the Isle of Ely at this time he was Leonard William Baker he joined in 1900 he was single on joining and got married in 1906, the records did not list his children if he had any. He was promoted sergeant in 1913, his leaving date is not known but it would have been about 1926.
Another Baker was James Baker, he joined in 1886 and retired in 1912. I can find no mention of him having been promoted. The1901 census for him shows age 38, and lists his children. One was called Fred and another Eva, so I was wondering if these were the names mentioned on the card, Fred may well have been old enough to join the army circa 1915. That still leaves the mystery of the family on the photograph. Having said that Leonard and James were both born in Poringland, Norfolk  (13 years age difference) so they could well be brothers.
Other information I have found shows a PC Baker stationed Tydd St Giles 1901 is this James? and a Sgt Baker at Ely 1920 which I take to be Leonard shown on group photo of which unfortunately I do not have a copy, so unable to compare.
Hears Hoping The Badger