Author Topic: Major General Samuel Peters Jarvis  (Read 2710 times)

Offline AEmilius

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Major General Samuel Peters Jarvis
« on: Monday 19 March 07 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Please be patient with me. I am 78 years old and still trying to understand the lightbulb, so forgive me if I screw up this message, not well understanding my
computer!!  I need help. I am writing a book about the life of my great great uncle, Major General Samuel Peters Jarvis (1820-1905). He was born in Canada and died in England at his home at Lydford House, Beach Road, Weston-super-Mare. In 1850 he married Renee, the daughter of Captain John Wilson, R.N. He attended Sandhurst in 1845-1846  and served in the 82nd Regiment, Prince of Wales Volunteers, in India 1857-1859. In 1878-1880 he was Commandant-General of Colonial Forces in  South Africa. Recipient of Companionship of the Order of St. Michael & St. George, and a host of battle decorations. I would be most appreciative of any further scraps of information about his life. I have been unable to find any trace of a book he wrote and Oxford published entitled "Historical Record of the 82nd Regiment"    Thanks
AEmilius

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Major General Samuel Peters Jarvis
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 07 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi AEmilius

Welcome to RootsChat   :)

There is a reference in google book search on a "Historical Record of the 82nd Regiment", see: http://books.google.com/books?vid=0waBQDW4yXWgcPk5&id=-lYBAAAAQAAJ&pgis=1

The main other reference to the 82nd Regiment is at http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kevinasplin/lynas.html

In respect of more military matters (and probably better sources for accessing the above book), you might want to repost this message on the  Armed Forces board here on RootsChat, see www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html where it is likely that people with a special interest in this area can assist you.

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AEmilius

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Major General Samuel Peters Jarvis
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your assistance Monica. It is greatly
appreciated.  AEmilius