Author Topic: O'Loughlin family......COUNTY CLARE  (Read 6692 times)

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
O'Loughlin family......COUNTY CLARE
« on: Monday 19 March 07 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear Members,

I have spent quite a bit of time and money trying to find info on my O'LOUGHLIN ancestors.They left Ireland in 1845 and went to Sydney.

Even though I supplied quite a bit of what I thought was good lnformation to the Clare Heritage Centre many years ago it drew a blank.

My only hope is that there are others who have a better way to approach the problem.It appears very few records were kept before the 1830's and if they were then only a few Parishes kept records.
The area where the O'Louglins lived was probably around Kilfenora,Co Clare.

Though the Clare Heritage Centre was very thorough in their reply I was very dissapointed that they could not help in any of the births,marriages,deaths or shipping details of those who left Ireland.

Would like to hear from others who have hit that BRICK WALL like me  ???

Kind Regards

Steve
Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Cooke..........Camden Town,St.Pancrass in London
Charles........Woolwich,Chatham,Gillingham in Kent
Duffey..........Leeds
Glen.............Co.Clare
Irving...........Chatham & Deptford
Mitchell.........Staines in M/sex & Gillingham in Kent
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds
Smokeham....St.Pancras,Camden Town in London

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Loughlin family......COUNTY CLARE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Take a look at:-

www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/tithe_applot/name_index/index45_O'GradyToOwnes.htm

where you'll see several O'Loughlin (various spellings) in Kilfenora, around the time you're interested in.

Cheers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Loughlin family......COUNTY CLARE
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
In order to understand why Clare Heritage Centre was probably not able to find much information on your family you first have to understand what records are available in Ireland and what is not available.
Civil registration of births, death and Catholic marriages in Ireland started 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages) and many census records no longer exist- 1901 is 1st complete census for all Ireland.
Church records (if they still exist) are used to find details of families but to search them you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (townland & parish) but with a common surname like O'Loughlin it may not be easy to figure out which if any records belong to the same family.
Atually, you will probably be able to find more information on your family in Ireland from Australian records. Australian certificates contain details not found in Irish ones.
If you have an idea of the church the family might have attended you could check LDS catalogue (www.familysearch.org) to see if the records have been microfilmed and what years might be covered.   
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!