Author Topic: Somerset Gibletts - Help Please!  (Read 6700 times)

Offline Alex Walker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Somerset Gibletts - Help Please!
« on: Monday 19 March 07 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am wondering if anyone with Somerset GIBLETT knowledge can help me.  I know that there was a large concentration of Gibletts in Meare however I have a rogue one born in Highbridge (according to the Census) and was wondering if anyone can help me find out more about him.  He was John Giblett, my G3 Grandfather, born about 1807 apparently in Highbridge.  He had one son in 1840 in Bristol called John BURNETT Giblett.  The reason I highlight the Burnett is that I notice in Meare there were quite a few Giblett BURNETTs so I am wondering if he had connections with the Meare Gibletts.  Anyhow he married Martha Bosley from Bristol in 1839, then Hannah Sainsbury in 1843, and finally Elizabeth A ?? from Blackawton, Devon between 1854 and 1861.  He then went to Jersey where he is on the '61, '71 & '81 census. 

Can any Meare Giblett researchers cast any light on this man and does he fit in to the Meare Giblett line to your knowledge?!

I know it's a big ask but any info is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Alex
Kent - Aldington, Bredhurst, Chatham, Gillingham, Hollingbourne, Lynsted, Newington, Rainham, Ramsgate, Smeeth, Snodland, Stockbury, Teynham, Upchurch<br />Surrey - Croydon<br />Sussex - Hellingly, Limspfield<br />Names - Chambers, Flynn, Giblett, Hart, Hodgman, Goldsmith, Lacy, Tucker, Hales, Callaway, Hubbard, Mudge, Wills, Barnden

Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset Gibletts - Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 23 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex, I don't have any specific knowledge of your ancestor but the Giblett/Burnetts, Burnett/Gibletts are a particular interest of mine. My direct ancestor was William Burnett Giblett and he had a son James for whom I have never found baptism record. I am also interested in a George Burnett Giblett, born 1803 who was a convict sent to Van Dieman's Land. I believe he was the son of George Giblett and Ann Salter and I am convinced he is related although I haven't been able to prove it yet. I know this is an old post so would be interested to hear whether you had made any further discoveries and I would be happy to share anything I have.
Cheers, Heather
Giblett, Burnett, Pippet, Baker, Chipperfield, Broadhurst, Rogers, Grindrod, Elsbury, Pusey, Spencer, May, Trenerry, Johns, Roberts, Stewart, Ross, Anderson, McIntosh, Highgate, Henderson, Ferre, Guerrier.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 23 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Heather.

Alex was last on here Dec 2022 so  hopefully will reply to you soon.

I can see only 1 George c 1803

GEORGE Giblett bapt 25 Jan 1804 St Mary, Meare to GEORGE/NANCY   

GEORGE GIblett married Nancy* SALTER 05 May 1801 same Church
He was Widowed, she was a Spinster

His likely 1st Wife was ANN Giblett 30 Dec 1794, she was Widowed, he was a Bachelor
Cant see any children to them Meare, she was buried 19 Jul 1800

Bapts to them Meare;
GEORGE as above
MARY 07 Jul 1805
JANE 25 Jan 1807
SAMUEL 10 Sep 1809
JOHN 20 Oct 1811, buried 17 Nov 1811
ANN 20 Oct 1811, buried 17 Nov 1811
JOHN 06 Jun 1813 (Father a Farmer)
ANN 27 Nov 1814
WILLIAM 12 Sep 1816 (Father a Farmer)

Burial for GEORGE 17 Jan 1818 no age given

Not sure if the George above is the one in your query as a Georeg died 1836 age 32.

Anyhow;
GEORGE BURNETT Giblett married Mary Giblett PIPPETT 29 Sep 1828, St Peter and Paul, Shepton Mallet
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 23 11:31 GMT (UK) »
When/where/were your William and James born?

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 23 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Dont worry about my last question as have found your other query.

As signing out soon will look again later :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 23 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello
His third marriage was in Jersey St Helier 27 May 1860
John Giblet widower 49 wine merchant born Huntspill Somerset s of William currier
Elizabeth Adams Harvey spinster 36 born Dartmouth Devon d of John Harvey farmer
wit JE Le Touzel and Ann E Le Touzel?

His 1839 and 1843 marriages also give his father as William Giblet currier

There is a baptism at Huntspill
John Giblet 23 Dec 1809 s of William and Nancy Giblet
and Edwin

Richard Adlington Giblet 20 Oct 1800 Bristol st Peter
Benjamin Harley and Bartlet stround sons 5.6.1805
Other children at Wells st Cuthbert
William 22.4.1812 born 22nd April
William 17 .4.1813 High Street  currier
Sarah 29.3.1815 buried 3.5.1815 High st 7 weeks
Ann 19.9.1819 Grope Lane Currier
Elizabeth and William 26.7.1820 currier Grope Lane
Eliza born 1823 bapts Huntspill 3.4.1836 currier

The parents marriage was at Huntspill
William Giblett of St Peters Bristol bach and Ann Burnett spinster otp 14.1.1799
both signed and wit by Ann ?on and John Burnett.

William Giblet buried Bristol St James 31.5.1829 age 57 years so born 1772.
Ann Burnett bapt at Huntspill 18.12.1778 d of John and Ann
It looks like William was baptised at Pawlett 14 Aug 1773 s of Richard and Mary Giblet.

I'm guessing George Senior of Meare is this chap
George s of Edward and Mary Giblet 10 Feb 1774.
Edward Giblet and Mary Rendell married Meare 14.4.1773.

I can't see any connection but it's not impossible

Ciderdrinker

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 23 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Heather.

Alex was last on here Dec 2022 so  hopefully will reply to you soon.

I can see only 1 George c 1803

GEORGE Giblett bapt 25 Jan 1804 St Mary, Meare to GEORGE/NANCY   

GEORGE GIblett married Nancy* SALTER 05 May 1801 same Church
He was Widowed, she was a Spinster

His likely 1st Wife was ANN Giblett 30 Dec 1794, she was Widowed, he was a Bachelor
Cant see any children to them Meare, she was buried 19 Jul 1800

Bapts to them Meare;
GEORGE as above
MARY 07 Jul 1805
JANE 25 Jan 1807
SAMUEL 10 Sep 1809
JOHN 20 Oct 1811, buried 17 Nov 1811
ANN 20 Oct 1811, buried 17 Nov 1811
JOHN 06 Jun 1813 (Father a Farmer)
ANN 27 Nov 1814
WILLIAM 12 Sep 1816 (Father a Farmer)

Burial for GEORGE 17 Jan 1818 no age given

Not sure if the George above is the one in your query as a Georeg died 1836 age 32.

Anyhow;
GEORGE BURNETT Giblett married Mary Giblett PIPPETT 29 Sep 1828, St Peter and Paul, Shepton Mallet

Hi Trish,

You've spotted the difficulty with George Giblett - there appears to be only 1 George Giblett born in 1803-4 in Somerset and it looks like he died in 1836. However, all the prison/gaol registers for George Burnett Giblett have him born in 1803. He was convicted at the Somerset Assizes in 1833 for fraud along with his brother John. John was 10 years younger which matches with the John born of Nancy & George 1813 who went on to marry Rachel Cousins. George was also a 'widower' at the time of his conviction which would match with the marriage to Mary Giblett Pippet (1804-1829). Unfortunately the marriage record does not have father's names. George Burnett Giblett was pardoned in 1848 and I have not found any further trace of him in Australia so I have assumed a name change. :-\
Heather
Giblett, Burnett, Pippet, Baker, Chipperfield, Broadhurst, Rogers, Grindrod, Elsbury, Pusey, Spencer, May, Trenerry, Johns, Roberts, Stewart, Ross, Anderson, McIntosh, Highgate, Henderson, Ferre, Guerrier.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 23 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes I can see your point George would fit nicely in that gap 1800-1805 for children of William and  Nancy Giblet.
There are further complications in that Benjamin Giblet born 1805 marries Frances Jennings Burnett born 1815 d of John Junior and Ann Burnett of Huntspill,6.4.1844 at Hunstpill .So first cousins marrying.
The families obviously kept close together.

There are a couple of Wills at Somerset Archives for William's possible brothers at Pawlett-Benjamin 1811/12 and Richard 1841-42
And Anne's sister in law Ann Burnett 1837.
You never know there might be a mention of a favourite nephew.George was a name in the Burnett family as is James and the habit of purring a surname as a middle name.

George's wife Mary Giblet Pippet born c 1804 bapt 1811  Shepton Mallet is interesting.She 's baptised late.
Her brother James Giblet Pippet dies in Australia 1881 age 68 at Broadmarsh Victoria.
He parents are Joseph Pippet and Avis Giblet .Married 27.3.1798 .Wit Richard and Bartlee Giblet.
Avis baptised 9.7.1774 Shepton Mallet at the Prebyterian Church d of John and Mary Giblet
She has a brother Bartlee /Bertlee baptised 31 March 1782.
This seems to match up with the 1805 child of William and Nancy.

John and Mary married at St Michael Bristol 6.7.1772
John Giblet of Shepton Mallett currier  and Mary Dixon of this parish by licence.
Children Avis 1774,John Dickson 11.1.1776,Mary 23.6.1779 and Bartlee 31.3.1782
The other Giblet couple at Shepton Mallet Presbyterian church were James and Ann Giblet 1776 -1783

But that still doesn't crack it.
I hate to say it I agree George Burnett Giblet is the son of William and Ann Giblet currier but I don't know how to prove it.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 23 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just found the Will of John Giblet of Shepton Mallet 21 Sep 1829
Brother Richard and wife Ann 6sh a week for life
Brother Thomas Hinwood  of Newberry Berks currier  and his wife Mary 14 shillings a week for life
Sarah Ashelford servant 19 Guineas
Sarah Jackson widow 19 guineas SM
Ann wife of William Shove of SM brewer 19 guineas
George Bernard /Burnett Giblet clerk to Mr Reeves bankers  of Wells £1000
friends John Spencer of Oakihill SM brewer and William Jackson of SM grocer £50 each
Grandsons-William ,George and James Pippet £1000 if reach 21.
£1300 to take care of daughter Avis widow of Joseph Pippet for life.
£300 to take care of granddaughter Mary wife of George Bernard/Burnett  Giblet for life and then to her children
It goes on for pages and pages and John Spencer and Willam Jackson are going to be very busy administering it all.
But it seems Mary Giblet Pippet had a very rich grandfather and they should have been finiancly ok from his death in 1829.But of course her death through a spanner in the works.

The 2 siblings Mary and Richard Giblet seem to be born in Warminster 12.6. 1757 and  20 May  1753 ,parents Thomas and Sarah Giblet.
Thomas Hinwood was Thomas Giblet's apprentice 1774 and Thomas Giblet was a currier.

Curiouser and Curiouser

ps there is a death duty record for George Giblet who died 1818 at Shepton Mallett perhaps that could add some detail.-IR27/165

Ciderdrinker