Author Topic: Somerset Gibletts - Help Please!  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset Gibletts - Help Please!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 23 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes I can see your point George would fit nicely in that gap 1800-1805 for children of William and  Nancy Giblet.
There are further complications in that Benjamin Giblet born 1805 marries Frances Jennings Burnett born 1815 d of John Junior and Ann Burnett of Huntspill,6.4.1844 at Hunstpill .So first cousins marrying.
The families obviously kept close together.

There are a couple of Wills at Somerset Archives for William's possible brothers at Pawlett-Benjamin 1811/12 and Richard 1841-42
And Anne's sister in law Ann Burnett 1837.
You never know there might be a mention of a favourite nephew.George was a name in the Burnett family as is James and the habit of purring a surname as a middle name.

George's wife Mary Giblet Pippet born c 1804 bapt 1811  Shepton Mallet is interesting.She 's baptised late.
Her brother James Giblet Pippet dies in Australia 1881 age 68 at Broadmarsh Victoria.
He parents are Joseph Pippet and Avis Giblet .Married 27.3.1798 .Wit Richard and Bartlee Giblet.
Avis baptised 9.7.1774 Shepton Mallet at the Prebyterian Church d of John and Mary Giblet
She has a brother Bartlee /Bertlee baptised 31 March 1782.
This seems to match up with the 1805 child of William and Nancy.

John and Mary married at St Michael Bristol 6.7.1772
John Giblet of Shepton Mallett currier  and Mary Dixon of this parish by licence.
Children Avis 1774,John Dickson 11.1.1776,Mary 23.6.1779 and Bartlee 31.3.1782
The other Giblet couple at Shepton Mallet Presbyterian church were James and Ann Giblet 1776 -1783

But that still doesn't crack it.
I hate to say it I agree George Burnett Giblet is the son of William and Ann Giblet currier but I don't know how to prove it.

Ciderdrinker

Hi there,
you managed some amazing research there in record time! I originally had George Burnett Giblett as son of William Giblett, currier and Ann Burnett - made sense since she was a Burnett. However, when I looked into George's conviction, it turns out he was tried with a younger brother John - exactly 10 years younger which would match with John Giblett, son of George & Nancy, baptised 6 Jun 1813. John's sentence was commuted to 7 years and he went on to marry Rachel Cousins. William and Ann did have a John but he was baptised 1809 and all the trial records have John's age as 20 in 1833. George and Nancy married in 1801 and there is in fact a baptism for a George Giblett, son of George and Nancy but there is also a death in Meare of a George Giblett in 1836 aged 32 and no other baptism to be found that would account for the 2 Georges!
Giblett, Burnett, Pippet, Baker, Chipperfield, Broadhurst, Rogers, Grindrod, Elsbury, Pusey, Spencer, May, Trenerry, Johns, Roberts, Stewart, Ross, Anderson, McIntosh, Highgate, Henderson, Ferre, Guerrier.

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 23 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just found the Will of John Giblet of Shepton Mallet 21 Sep 1829
Brother Richard and wife Ann 6sh a week for life
Brother Thomas Hinwood  of Newberry Berks currier  and his wife Mary 14 shillings a week for life
Sarah Ashelford servant 19 Guineas
Sarah Jackson widow 19 guineas SM
Ann wife of William Shove of SM brewer 19 guineas
George Bernard /Burnett Giblet clerk to Mr Reeves bankers  of Wells £1000
friends John Spencer of Oakihill SM brewer and William Jackson of SM grocer £50 each
Grandsons-William ,George and James Pippet £1000 if reach 21.
£1300 to take care of daughter Avis widow of Joseph Pippet for life.
£300 to take care of granddaughter Mary wife of George Bernard/Burnett  Giblet for life and then to her children
It goes on for pages and pages and John Spencer and Willam Jackson are going to be very busy administering it all.
But it seems Mary Giblet Pippet had a very rich grandfather and they should have been finiancly ok from his death in 1829.But of course her death through a spanner in the works.

The 2 siblings Mary and Richard Giblet seem to be born in Warminster 12.6. 1757 and  20 May  1753 ,parents Thomas and Sarah Giblet.
Thomas Hinwood was Thomas Giblet's apprentice 1774 and Thomas Giblet was a currier.

Curiouser and Curiouser

ps there is a death duty record for George Giblet who died 1818 at Shepton Mallett perhaps that could add some detail.-IR27/165

Ciderdrinker

Wow! Fascinating....there's a wealth of information in that. Can you tell me where you found it? I know there are a lot of Giblett wills on the SOUTH WEST HERITAGE TRUST: Somerset Archive Catalogue but you have to request copies
Giblett, Burnett, Pippet, Baker, Chipperfield, Broadhurst, Rogers, Grindrod, Elsbury, Pusey, Spencer, May, Trenerry, Johns, Roberts, Stewart, Ross, Anderson, McIntosh, Highgate, Henderson, Ferre, Guerrier.

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 23 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Yes I should have said .
It's a PCC Will available on Ancestry or from the National Archives website .
If you don't have Ancestry ,pm me with your email address and I'll send it on .
Although it may be Friday as I'm a little under the weather and I have to go to the Library to do it.
There are pages and pages so there will be plenty to look at.
There is also the PCC Will of Ann Giblett daughter of George and Nancy who died in1849.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Yes I should have said .
It's a PCC Will available on Ancestry or from the National Archives website .
If you don't have Ancestry ,pm me with your email address and I'll send it on .
Although it may be Friday as I'm a little under the weather and I have to go to the Library to do it.
There are pages and pages so there will be plenty to look at.
There is also the PCC Will of Ann Giblett daughter of George and Nancy who died in1849.

Ciderdrinker

No problem - I have obtained it from the National Archives. What a tome!  Could a will be any more complicated? It does confirm a few relationships though which is great. Amazing that George Burnett Giblett was left 1,000 pounds and still went on to commit fraud in his capacity of bank clerk!

Cheers,
Heather

Offline Leumascot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 07:40 GMT (UK) »

Ciderdrinker,

Just wondering if you had turned up anything on James Giblett's father - William Burnett Giblett (the middle name doesn't appear on documents) b.1772 d.1829? I'm thinking he's possibly the son of William Giblett and Hannah Rogers m. 1763 in Meare? But that is really because of the absence of viable alternatives. You mentioned possible siblings in the Somerset Archives wills - I haven't found any other births but I think I might have to go ahead and order copies of the wills just on the off chance  ;D