Author Topic: Honoria Larkin and Michael Denis Ahern  (Read 10968 times)

Offline amaan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honoria Larkin and Michael Denis Ahern
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 September 09 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
we may have been in contact before I'm not sure, but I think you have visited my Ahern's site 'The Aherns of Tournafulla'.
I've just read these posts from a while back and you mentioned that your Ahern's have a connection to a Jack Ahern(e) (old IRA). I'm just wondering  exactly what the connection is and how you found out about it?
The reason I ask is because this will probably link our family tree's. I have a John Ahern who was always known as Jack,... Jack the private to be more specific and he was old IRA (one of the character's mentioned a number of times in a book on the west limerick brigade - 'Victory & Woe').
He was my Great Grandfather's brother and I have a page on my website about him, although I haven't mentioned any of the old IRA stories up to now, but probably will in the future. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ahernsoftournafulla/JackA.htm

Their parents were both Ahern's (i.e. their Mother's maiden name was also Ahern) - They were Michael & Mary Ahern.

From what I have heard there were three Ahern families in Tour at the time, so one of them either added or took away an 'e' from their last name, to save confusion.

I'm also wondering if there would be anyway of finding out exactly where the 30 acres of land mentioned on those tythe papers is and plotting it out on a map. Because I know where my Ahern's family farmhouse and land used to be, so if it's the same location I woul know there is a connection.

looking forward to your response

thanks
Ashley Maan     

Offline Limgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley

I`ve been puzzling this connection with Aherns of Tournafulla for quite a while.

Did come across a map of Michael Ahern(Denis) in Griffith Valuations. Will see if I can root it out.

My grandfather always maintained that he was a first cousin of Jack Ahern.

My info though was that Jack father had a son called Dan. No mention of a Dominic and that flumoxed me on your webpage. So maybe a mistake in my family lore?

According to family lore, his father was known as Mick the Crow.

Will pm you with further info in the coming days with further info.

Limgal

Offline BudL2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi LIMGAL

I am new to this site. The posts I've seen are dated 2009. are you you still checking this site. I have information on Honora  Larkin if you require it.