Author Topic: Carter/ Latham in Amersham  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Carter/ Latham in Amersham
« on: Saturday 27 November 04 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Charles Carter aged 22 married Alice Jane Latham aged 21 on 11th Feb 1893.  They both gave their residence as Amersham, although Alice was from Hereford and Charles was born in Holborn, London.

They later settled in Herefordshire, but their daughter Edith was born in Watford in November 1895. 

Charles was a carpenter and his father Henry Carter was a gardener.  A family story says that Charles was adopted by a wealthy family, who took him to Herefordshire.

What were they doing in Amersham??

Any help greatly appreciated
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carter/ Latham in Amersham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 November 04 16:35 GMT (UK) »
1891 census Amersham - Conservative Club, Market Square, High Street

Elizabeth CARTER head wid 56 caretaker of the conservative club! b.Hatfield Herts

Charles CARTER son carpenter age 20 b.St Albans Herts

Minnie H CARTER dau age 11 b.Drewbury? Berks?

1881 census - East Woodhay, Hampshire - the address looks like Noslton Lodge, Noslton House  but the index says Woolton.

Henry CARTER 44 head gardener b.St Albans Hereford

wife Elizabeth CARTER 46 b.Hatfield Hereford

son Charles CARTER 9 b.St Albans Hereford

dau Minnie H CARTER 1 b. East Woodhay Hants

These definitely look like the family to match your marriage certificate but the census enumerators appear to have made some confusion over the counties of birth.

Does this answer any of your query?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 November 04 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Casalguidi

I certainly think this would explain Charles' presence in Amersham.  I still wonder why Alice was there, though, particularly as census info suggests she was not quite 21!  I wonder if Henry's employer also had property in Herefordshire?!

Will try to trace Charles' birth on this assumption in ST Alban's.

Funnily enough, his daughter Edith's occupation before her marriage was - in a conservative club!!  Something in the genes?

Many thanks, Arranroots :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 November 04 16:49 GMT (UK) »
The same family .............

1871 census - Fishpool Street, St Michael, St Albans, Hertfordshire -

Henry CARTER 34 gardener b.St Albans, Hertfordshire

wife Elizabeth 35 straw plait sewer (probably for straw hats/bonnets?) b.Hatfield, Hertfordshire

Ann DANN or DUNN Lodger 39 unmarried dressmaker  b.St Michaels, Hertfordshire

No son Charles yet?  Was he not yet born or does there lie your mystery?

I'll look for LATHAM now .............

Casalguidi

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 November 04 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Amazing!

Are you using CD info, or have I been missing the blindingly obvious all this time?  (Had seen the East Woodhay record, but it was one of several Henry Carters who were gardeners are you no doubt know.)

This info is of great interest to a living relative, so many thanks again.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 November 04 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I have found this:

Alice LATHAM servant unmarried 18 kitchen maid b. All Saints, Hereford at The Rectory, Amersham, Bucks 1891 census.

If this is your lady, it looks like she was in service then - to the Rector of Amersham .................. that's why she was there?  The Rector was Edward Syr? DRAKE.

Do you think this was her?

The 1871. 1881, 1891, 1901 census records are available on http://www.ancestry.co.uk where you can pay to view up to 20 records for about £7, take up a year's subscription for about £60 or take advantage of their 2 week free trial and hope that you can cancel your trial ok before the end of 2 weeks when they take your money!

Only too pleased to be able to help.

Casalguidi

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 November 04 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's her I'm sure.  I wonder why she would have travelled so far from home?  People certainly seemed to get about more than I thought.  I know the railway reached Amersham about this time, so perhaps she just had itchy feet.

I had wondered if Charles' place of birth had been mistranscribed as London Holborn instead of London Colney, which is near St Albans I believe.  It would be neater.

At least we can forget theories that they eloped, now!

Regards, Arranroots