Author Topic: Undersea Cable from Newbiggen to Sondervig, Denmark, in 1868.  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Bobh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Undersea Cable from Newbiggen to Sondervig, Denmark, in 1868.
« on: Wednesday 21 March 07 10:58 GMT (UK) »
William Tate, was master of a ship, SS  Archimedes, which laid a cable from Newbiggen in Northumberland, to Sondervig, Denmark, in 1868.
William was one of a family of 11 children, one of whom was a daughter, and
the other nine out of 10 boys all became master mariners.  I cannot find a newspaper account of the project.
I think it might have created enough of a stir to get into the newspaper, because there was, after all, a newspaper article about the nine master mariner brothers!).  A newspaper article is such a good confirmation, isn't it?
Any information on this undersea cable from Newbiggen to Sondervig, Denmark, in 1868 would be most welcomely received. Thank you, Bob h
Blakelock, Brown, Castleton, Edwards, Galliford, Groves, Hall, Holland, Huggins, Ions, Packer, Smith, Womack.

Offline sharmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Many records held at home for Tyne Valley area
    • View Profile
Re: Undersea Cable from Newbiggen to Sondervig, Denmark, in 1868.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 07 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I think these cables were lain before 1865. there were 3 cables layed by "The Great Northern Telegraph Company from Newbiggin on sea, 1 went to Arendel, Norway. The other two to Hirstalls (Denmark) and Sondervig (Denmark. There is a book about these cables by George Walter Niven
Forster, Hall, Yielder ,Robson, Corbridge and st John lee/ parishes.  also researching Harmison/Harmieson. have lots of info on above

Offline Bobh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 07 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sharmor for that information about the book. I will see if I can find a copy. Many thanks, Bobh
Blakelock, Brown, Castleton, Edwards, Galliford, Groves, Hall, Holland, Huggins, Ions, Packer, Smith, Womack.

Offline sharmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 07 15:18 GMT (UK) »
 I came across this site today that gives info on the cables at Newbiggin,
http://www.atlantic-cable.com/Cables/CableTimeLine/index1850.htm
Forster, Hall, Yielder ,Robson, Corbridge and st John lee/ parishes.  also researching Harmison/Harmieson. have lots of info on above

Offline sharmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 07 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Further searching for SS ARCHIMEDES( Newcastle) comes up with James Dickenson as the Master of the vessel in 1869

Offline Bobh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 March 07 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sharmor, I will open that with most haste. Once again Many thanks for you valuable help.Bobh