Author Topic: Census look up - 1861 Banffshire  (Read 6333 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census look up - 1861 Banffshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 March 07 11:35 BST (UK) »
I have just finished emailing the chap in Australia and suggested he might pick up on my thread.  I think he may have the birth certificate and that is where he got the grandfather's name.

I will copy what you have said and send it to him.  The advice you have given sounds a good possibility of learning more.

Thanks for that.

Regards

Betty

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 March 07 17:56 BST (UK) »
I was in Elgin today with some time to spare so I took out the microfilm of the Grange poor relief records.

Elspet Smith or Ogg, residing in Kilbadie, Grange, applied for relief on 2nd August 1859 at 9.30 a.m. (!!) for her son Alexander Ogg, who is described as 'of weak mind'. She was described as a widow, born in Scotland, Protestant. She had a small croft and was not disabled [i.e. unable to earn a living]. Apart from Alexander, her children were James, Elizabeth, Mary, John, George, Margaret, Jane and William. All but Jane and William were in service; James was married.

The Register of Poor repeats much of the above, but adds that she was given 6d (sixpence), seven pounds of meal, and clothing for Alexander. The Register describes Alexander as 'imbecile', and says that he died on 18th February 1874.

Kilbady is about a mile from Garralburn. Both are marked on the 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey map.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 March 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
I appreciate the time you have put in getting this information and I will forward it to the person doing the research and hope he gets back to you.  I have not heard from him re the other message.  They will just be getting up soon!!.

Thanks again

Betty

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 April 07 18:18 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 April 07 18:47 BST (UK) »
Brilliant.

I was just about to get in touch with you to say I had heard back from the relation in Australia when I saw your message.

I checked it out and find he has picked up on that thread and perhaps has not seen my thread.

His reply is under Filidh 46. 

I will leave it up to him now to continue his research as I am not sure of all the research he has done.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

Betty