Author Topic: History of Peeblesshire  (Read 11285 times)

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
History of Peeblesshire
« on: Friday 23 March 07 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, please has anyone got access to the History of Peeblesshire by James Buchan, would be so grateful for a lookup.

Thanks

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: History of Peeblesshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,
Sorry, haven't got that book but do have the 'History of Peebles 1850 to 1990' by J.L. Brown and I.C. Lawson if that is any help at all.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Rae, Thanks very much for the v kind offer, unfortunately though my ancestors were in Peebleshire first decade of the 1800's and back.

Many Thanks again

Anna
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Kena,
Just in case the library has a copy would you like to give me some details to look up? I should manage to go tomorrow or failing that sometime next week after the Easter weekend.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rae, Thanks so much for the v kind offer, I am looking for anything on the Burnett's of Barns and Rodger's of Traquair.

Many Thanks again

Anna
Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 19:47 BST (UK) »
Anna, do you know where Barn is as I haven't heard of it?
Will see what I can find anyway.
Do you have any of the M.I's for the area as I can also see if they have these too? There are some census booklets but don't know if they include the area you are looking for.
Rae

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 April 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rae, I think the Burnett's of Barns were in Broughton/Manor area, I think they were quite a big family in the area so hopefully there should be something about them. I have pre 1855 MI'S for Peeblesshire but would be interested in any post 1855 for an Andrew Rodger and Violet Rae (I think in Traquair but am not completely sure), many thanks for the offer.

Thanks again for all your help

Anna
Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 April 07 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,
I have the book and will help to pick out the bits you would like.
Rae

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 07 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,
I forgot to say that I couldn't find anything on Andrew Rodger and Violet Rae. The M.I's finished too early - 1850 ish but no Roger/Rodgers recorded in Traquair or Innnerleithen areas. The only Raes mentioned were: [parish of Traquair] Margaret Rae, child of John Rae, Kirkhouse was buried Aug 1833.
[parish of Innerleithen] Charles Rae son to John Rae, Gardener, Glenmoriston was interred 19 Apr 1850.
I couldn't find Andrew and Violet in the 1851 Traquair census booklet either but perhaps you have there whereabouts at that time already.
Rae