Author Topic: Master Mariners  (Read 25205 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Re: Master Mariners
« Reply #45 on: Friday 29 February 08 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ashley.
 :)
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 15 June 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't know if any of you guys are still looking for info on Master Mariners but the British Newspaper site has a lot of info particularly the Sunderland Echo and Shields Gazette regarding shipping news of the 1800s

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

I found out a lot about my Great Great Grandfather Capt Alex Bonallie from Sunderland on there, but beware the OCR text isn't brilliant try using lots of variants for names I've come across Bonnelly, Bouallie etc on my search, only trouble is once you find out about their journeys the next thing is to find out more about the ships they sailed on which opens up a whole new set of problems, in my case been on the Lloyds lists etc for the Brigs Rhine and  Tryphena both of which sank (think Great Granddad must have been like Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses) although the Tryphena went missing when he wasn't the Captain and his last recorded voyages were on the brig Robert and Mary in 1878, big gap between 1864 and 1878 with no information on his voyages so if anyone does hear of any voyages he was on in between those years it would be appreciated.

Regards
Julie

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 21 June 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Julie - it looks a bit expensive but it may be worth a shot.

Cheers
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bvc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 16 January 23 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mercel
My ancestor Jacob Weakner was a master mariner and I found dozens of letters written by him form 1800 to 1813 in the maritime museum aty Greenwich. Try also The Trinity House Petitions index which can be found in many libraries - if you can't find one, give me the names you are interested in and I will look them up in my copy.
Michael
I was interested to see your post. I am looking at the family of Dorothy Weakner who was Jacob's granddaughter. I have been looking for the death of her father George Weakner who was also a master mariner and who I believe died when his ship, the South Stockton floundered and the crew. bar two all died in 1849. I think the ship was sailing from Quebec when she got into trouble. Do you have any information on this. The only info I have found is in the Newspaper Archives and they only refer to Captain Weakner, not George. I have followed his commands through several ships but can't find a reference to 'George' Weakner as master of the South Stockton. I know he died prior to 1851 and I can find no reference to his death in the usual records. Any advice would be welcome.

Online Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 16 January 23 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you hadn't noticed, mrnobile made that posting in February 2008 - very nearly fifteen years ago. He hasn't logged in here since May 2009, so I think a response is unlikely. You could try a pm, although if mrnoble doesn't receive email notifications about replies on threads he was active in, it is probably the same with a pm. Failing that perhaps Sarah or Trystan could send an email alerting him to this thread.

Offline Bvc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I was just keeping my fingers crossed. I know I have posts on here from early 2000's and thought there might be a chance.