Author Topic: BAX family from Ockley, Capel and Dorking  (Read 13375 times)

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BAX family from Ockley, Capel and Dorking
« on: Sunday 28 November 04 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Researching the BAX family from Ockley, Capel and Dorking.

Maiden names of females in the family tree:

SMITH
LEHMAN/ LEMMON
FRIDAY
STREET
HOLLANDS ( Kent)

Regards
Kathryn
Abu Dhabi

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: BAX family from Ockley, Capel and Dorking
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 November 04 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,
I have parish records for Capel & Dorking.  In the next few days I'll check-out the name BAX for you, anything specific?
The world is a small place, I'm in Jordan and I notice you're in Abu Dhabi ;)
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 04 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane

It is a small world! Thank you for replying to my posting. I have a Thomas BAX born 1803 , although 1881 census records has him born 1801. He married Sarah MILLER  in Dorking 28.5.1827. Can I confirm that?

Also, I think this Thomas BAX's parents were Martin BAX and Mary Friday but want confirmation of this. IGI online has the following entry:

Thomas BAX born 12 July 1803
Christening 14 August 1803, West Street Independent, Dorking
Parents given as above.

Now, were there other Thomas BAX's or can I safely say that the man who married Sarah MILLER was the same Thomas BAX born to Martin BAX?

As most of this family were Quakers I am wondering if this lot will be on your parish records.   ??? Here's hoping!

Many Thanks
Kathryn
Abu Dhabi

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 04 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,
Annoyingly the Dorking transcripts do not have any marriages, I am frantically looking for an early marriage in Dorking myself.  Maybe someone has another resource that would give you that information.
I had a quick look through the fiche last night, the majority of BAX (E) or BEX seem to be in CApel, a few in Dorking and a handful of marriages (30) on the Sussex marriage index that I have and yes a couple of Quaker marriages recorded there.  Your family seem to be following the same pattern as mine, West Sussex migrating north into West Surrey.  The name FRIDAY is familiar to me as a Mary Ann Friday married into the BRAVERY family that I'm researching.
I will put thought & time into what you've just told me & send you my findings, hopefully today if I finish my housework ;)
Jane

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 04 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,
had a scout round the baptism's & burials for Capel & Dorking at St. Martins the Parish church.  No MARTIN Bax mentioned for Capel or Dorking. No THOMAS mentioned of the dob you gave in either parish, so looks like that might be in the Quaker records.  That was the bad news.  The good news is that I have what appears to be baptism's of possible children of Thomas & Sarah, all Dorking St. Martins
October 7 1827, Thomas son to Thomas & sarah Bax of PIXOM Lane. Just 5 months after the marriage ::)
November 23 1828, Sarah daughter to Thomas & Sarah Bax of Back Lane.
August 29 1830, Mary daughter to Thomas & Sarah Bax of Back Lane.
January 6 1833, Elizabeth daughter to Thomas & Sarah Bax of Back Lane.
April 12 1835, Jane daughter to Thomas & Sarah Bax of Westcott.
February 26 1837, Rebecca daughter to Thomas & Sarah Bax of Westcott.
Now I don't know if Thomas & sarah of Back Lane & Westcott are one & the same.  You need to look for marriages to establish that.  At around the same time in Dorking were Edward & Ann Bax, married before Thomas & Sarah as they have a son, William in 1822 and they are from Pixom Lane, so my guess is that he is a brother to Thomas.
If Thomas's parents were Quaker it would appear that Thomas didn't follow that tradition.
Hope this has been of help & not a hinderence,
Jane

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I understand Quaker records are kept in the National Archives in Kew.

Here's the link
http://www.quaker.org.uk/library/guides/libgenea.html

I cannot get to Kew, but can visit the Surrey History Centre (county archives) for non-Quaker stuff, but they are soon to close for three weeks' stocktaking.

Ray
Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jane and Ray for the advice and help.

I was thrilled to see the birth records. Yes, by the looks of it , due to the untimely pregnancy the son must have been ex-communicated by the Quakers. ;)

Ray, any extra help on your behalf would be more than appreciated. No rush. The dead aren't going anywhere. Just pleased to be helped by so many people on this list.

Many thanks to both of you

Regards
Kathryn
Abu Dhabi

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,
Glad that was of some help.  I don't have experience of Quaker records but there was an article in a family history magazine about it, so I'll read-up on it & pass anything along to you.  In the meantime take a look at the parish records available at the Surrey History Centre, http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Guide+to+parish+registers+held+at+Surrey+History+Centre?opendocument

You will find reference to West Street Chapel and their records.  I'm going to have a closer look at the Capel records & see if anything useful presents itself there.  There do appear to be more by the name of BAX there than in Dorking.
Try posting a look-up request on the 'Common Room' page at Rootschat for those marriages, they might appear on the BVRI or Pallots index which is general to the UK.
Jane

Offline kathrynbax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Jane for all your help, advice and the link.

I shall have a peek now.

Regards
Kathryn