Author Topic: Identification  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identification
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 March 07 16:49 BST (UK) »
I think I have managed to identify the second uniform as the Hampshire Regiment.  I have some old badges and the Hampshire badge seems to be identical to the one in the photo.

I'm afraid I know nothing about the Army at all, would anyone know whether there was any connection, or amalgamation, of the Hampshires and the Kings Royal Rifles, 3rd Bn.  If there is then I think I can identify the man in this picture.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 March 07 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much Wendi, I am neither at my best nor most receptive on a Sunday afternoon, so have printed it off for future absorbtion.

Seriously it's something I am going to have to play with to make sure I can get it right.

I wish I was a computer buff  :-[

Tuscany
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 March 07 17:58 BST (UK) »
I found a site which shows the regimental badges of WW1 and both the Cheshire and Worcester have a banner underneath with the regimental name which the one in photo no. 1 doesn't.  The only other badge, which looked similar was the Devonshire Regt.

The Guards badges do look similar but if the uniform is wrong that's a non starter.

I have tried to enlarge the cap badge but, if you notice on the photo it appears slightly blurred, enlarging just enhances the blurring and lessens the detail.

Tuscany

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 March 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
Top photo Army Service Corps, Bottom photo 6th Battalion Hampshire Regt

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 March 07 19:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I guessed I was right with the Hampshires because it fits everything else. 

Do you now know the answer to a previous question?  Did the Hampshires and KRR have any connection?

I really am grateful to you.

Tuscany

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 March 07 04:29 BST (UK) »
Tuscany.
Why did you ask about amalgamation? Not an expert on this subject but don't think there was around this time.
My thought is that your query was prompted by a connection,comment somewhere?
                    Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 March 07 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi goggy,

No, trawling through some of the regiments around in WW1 it appears that a considerable number merged with others.  No one has suggested this it's just what I've discovered reading through some of the wartime histories on the regimental sites.

Tuscany

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 March 07 23:20 BST (UK) »
there was no amalgamation between the KRRC and the hampshires, but soldiers did move between regiments

do you have a name (s), we may be able to find a medal index

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thankyou,

The name is Frank W Cawte No. 2350, 3rd Bn., King's Royal Rifle Corps
Died 3rd October 1915.

I was trying to tie up the chap in the first photo in the Hants Regt with the above, but it is beginning to look less likely that they are the same person, but if they did move between regiments who knows.

Tuscany.