Author Topic: Escape and Evasion reports  (Read 30073 times)

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Escape and Evasion reports
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This list may be of use to some people whose relatives either escaped or evaded during WW2. Posted by another researcher that uses an air force research site that I use. Hopefully some other researchers may add additional information. Some of the WO208 files are available on documents online, but there isn't an index for some and it appears to me to be a bit hit and miss as to whether you get the one you are looking for!
Anyway, hopefully some of this information will be helpful, this is on Steve Brew's 41 Squadron site:

'During a recent visit to the National Archives at Kew, I tried to locate reports made by 41 Squadron pilots who evaded or escaped during WWII. The information desk at the NA do not hold a master index, so I photographed the personal name indexes in the front of the files I ordered, namely WO208/3314 (1943), WO208/3316 (1943), WO208/3317 (1943-1944), WO208/3326 (1945) and WO208/3327 (1945). I thought they may interest others so posted them on the internet at:
http://brew.clients.ch/Index%20WO208.htm

I have also included on this page the top level index shown in the NA catalogue, for quick reference to the Escape/Evasion Reports: Code MI9/SPG: 1-3122, held in WO208/3298-3327.'

I have a partial index to some of the later WO208 files (the liberation reports). These are NOT indexed at all and I also have some further information in my files from another researcher. However, I am afraid that I only have air force names and not army or navy. Steve Brew's index on his site includes army etc as the index is from the front of the files held at the NA.

Regards,

Ann Sadler

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
Re: Escape and Evasion reports
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 May 07 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Ann.

Interestingly, the first image of the TNA WO208/3313 - Escape/Evasion Reports: Code MI9/SPG: 1162-1293, dated 1943 lists Marine Sparks at the top of the list.

He was one of the original Cockleshell Heroes, the forerunner of the modern day SBS.
http://www.royalmarinesregimental.co.uk/histcockmain.html

Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline annsa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 May 07 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Thudders,

Hopefully the information will help some people. A few of us have been trying to build up an index to some of the WO E&E files and the liberation reports as it can save a load of time at the NA. The next time I go I will work through the Lib reportsmore fully and try to make amore complete index.

Regards,

Ann

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This list may be of use to some people whose relatives either escaped or evaded during WW2. Posted by another researcher that uses an air force research site that I use. Hopefully some other researchers may add additional information. Some of the WO208 files are available on documents online, but there isn't an index for some and it appears to me to be a bit hit and miss as to whether you get the one you are looking for!
Anyway, hopefully some of this information will be helpful, this is on Steve Brew's 41 Squadron site:

'During a recent visit to the National Archives at Kew, I tried to locate reports made by 41 Squadron pilots who evaded or escaped during WWII. The information desk at the NA do not hold a master index, so I photographed the personal name indexes in the front of the files I ordered, namely WO208/3314 (1943), WO208/3316 (1943), WO208/3317 (1943-1944), WO208/3326 (1945) and WO208/3327 (1945). I thought they may interest others so posted them on the internet at:
http://brew.clients.ch/Index%20WO208.htm

I have also included on this page the top level index shown in the NA catalogue, for quick reference to the Escape/Evasion Reports: Code MI9/SPG: 1-3122, held in WO208/3298-3327.'

I have a partial index to some of the later WO208 files (the liberation reports). These are NOT indexed at all and I also have some further information in my files from another researcher. However, I am afraid that I only have air force names and not army or navy. Steve Brew's index on his site includes army etc as the index is from the front of the files held at the NA.

Regards,

Ann Sadler

Hi Ann,
          my ongoing project is to catalogue all the E & E Reports in T.N.A. Up to now I have done all the E & E 1940 - 1945.Escapers through the lines Italy. A couple of years ago appendix "C" to the 30 earlier E & E files were released,these I also catalogued.  The Liberation Reports in WO208 are the early ones which for the most part were closed. All these are now open in WO344. I did catalogue the 1900 or so Liberation Reports in WO208 though.At present I am working on the Files for Switzerland.

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline annsa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Once you have catalogued all the files are you going to make an online index? If it is helpful I can pass you on the info I have. I had on a pretty loose basis, got together with a couple of other researchers, one of whom was going through and photographing all the E&E reports, however, unfortunately he became ill with cancer and subsequently died. I don't know what became of all his photos and information although I may be able to trace his widow (unfortunately I had a computer crash and lost e mail addresses). Derek was hoping to make a free searchable online database of the E&E reports. One of the big problems when you get to the NA is the fact that there is not even a card index to the Liberation reports, so you just have to plough through the files and hope that you find the right one.
Anyway, if I can be of help, please let me know. Unfortunately I don't get to Kew on a regular basis, but I must try to get up there in the near future and look at the Lib reports again (I have 3 smallish children and only manage to tunnel out occasionally!)

Best wishes Ann

ps It might be worth contacting Steve Brew as well as other researchers may have sent or have promised to send additional info.

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,
            I am considering offering the whole issue to The National Archives as a research aid.  The Liberation Reports in WO344 is catalogued Alphabetically by name sequence.In other words what you get in the index is the first and last name in a particular file. This is the same as the E & E Switzerland. With over 50,000 reports it is one I am not going to tackle. Another three months or so the work on the Swiss files should be complete and I can get on with the main subject of my research. Prisoners of War in the North African Campaign.

Best  Wishes
                  Brian

Offline annsa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

I do know that the NA would be very interested in such a catalogue as I did talk with them about one a few years ago. The card indices are quite old and there are gaps especially as some 'researchers' have seen fit to nick stuff in the past!
Perhaps you might think about putting it online as well? I don't know how your information is stored, but I'm sure that there is some computer buff out there who would be willing to advise/help.
As for the WO344 series, I will trudge through some more next time I go to Kew. A french researcher has been doing the same and he has sent me an excel spreadsheet with air force ones. I shall do all the names next time, not just air force related ones. When you say that it is catalogued alphabetically, do you mean that there is some sort of index at the NA? If so is it in the card files somewhere or do you mean that you just get the first and the last name in that file. I couldn't see that there was any order in which the reports were filed but perhaps I and others have boobed somewhere along the line!
On the subject of the North African Campaign, my next door neighbour who is 94 is a veteran of that campaign, has absolutely all his marbles, but suffers from wounds he recived to his legs when blown up in an amoured car (I think that's right, although it may have been a tank). I keep meaning to go and have a long chat with him, when the kids aren't around and see if he has any recollections that would be of use to the Wartime Memories Project.
Anyway, if I can be of any help to you at anytime, please let me know. If you send me a personal message, I am happy to exchange e mail addresses.

All the best,

Ann

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
           over the last year I have photographed the first pages of reports and retyped them  to create a catalogue by name, rank, and unit. At present Counting the Liberation reports I have completed 81 Files. This has entailed taking thousands of photographs, and typing thousands of names.With the Swiss files I have been able to record date of capture and date of arrival in Switzerland.
T.N.A. online catalogue for WO344 will tell you which file to read, but only gives the first and last names within that Particular file. This tells you where the Report you are looking for Should be,but this is not always to so. The problem comes when like myself you have a journey of over 150mls that proves to have been a waste of time.
I returned home yesterday after a two day session at T.N.A. using the cheap rates Travelodge have been offering, but with Summer upon us that will end for a few months.
When the project is complete I will have to Index all the abbreviations. Then I will decide what access methods to arrange.
My North African research just need tidying up and putting together in sequence, which itself will be quite a task as it has been ongoing for 15yrs.

Best  Wishes
                  Brian

Offline annsa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

I don't have such a long journey, about a couple of hours if the traffic is good.  I invariably have a long list from some overseas researchers friends but am always happy to help if I can. I normally go down the digital photography route as I can photograph and then look at my leisure later (providing I don't rush too much and end up with some blurred images as last time). I know a couple of air force researchers that have a lot of E&E reports, would any of those would be of any good to you? Is your information in some sort of searchable database at present?
It seems to me, that if everyone tried to pool their info, that it would be of a great deal of use to many researchers as well as relatives of servicemen.
Do you have the refs of the files that you have completed?
I stayed up at Kew last year for a couple of days after having some radiation treatment for an overactive thyroid gland. Unfortunately, I didn't know that you could get cheap rates at the Travelodge and I ended up in a really grotty B&B, plus I had the added bonus of there being a fire drill at the NA and so I lost about an hours research on that day.

All the best,

Ann