Author Topic: Escape and Evasion reports  (Read 30072 times)

Offline Simon007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Escape and Evasion reports
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
Interesting project Brian.  Is it still ongoing or is the research available somewhere ?

My grandfather, William Anderson, was a baker with the RASC, presumably supplying bread to the troops.  For a long time I believed he had died in North Africa (as stated on his death certificate).  However, I recently obtained information from the CICR (Red Cross) in Zurich that he had been taken POW by the Italians at Tobruk on 20th June 1942, transported to an Italian POW camp, at some point escaped, probably around September 1943 when the Italian Armistice was announced, was recaptured by the Germans on 16th January 1944 and was last seen on 28th January 1944 travelling from Italy to Germany on a train which was bombed by the Allies !  Is that bad luck or what ?

I doubt whether the Escape Reports would contain anything about William Anderson since he didn't return to tell his tale, but perhaps some of his comrades might have recorded his fate.  Do you think it would be worth me searching the NA or would it be looking for a needle in a haystack ?

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,
               there is a report in WO361 that contains enquiries into P.O.W. Lost when the train they were travelling on was bombed.
The date given was 28/1/44 and the place was Orvieto.

I recall reading a File some years ago where a similar incident occurred to a Train standing in the Sidings at Aquilla.

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Simon,

Am I right in presuming your Grandfather was;Sgt. William Anderson S/151306 and that he came from Comrie in Perthshire.

Remembered on the Memorial at El Alamein.

Offline Simon007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 15:34 BST (UK) »
Simon,

Am I right in presuming your Grandfather was;Sgt. William Anderson S/151306 and that he came from Comrie in Perthshire.

Remembered on the Memorial at El Alamein.

One and the same.  I went up to Comrie and his name is also on the local War Memorial there.  Will post a copy when I get home as is on my other computer.

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 15:46 BST (UK) »
The C.W.G.C. rules can be confusing at times.

When no Identifiable remains are recovered, Casualties are Remembered on the Memorial where they last served.

My Father is also remembered at El Alamein even though he is known to have died off the Tunisian Coast.

Offline 107 Bty 27 LAA Regt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 23:39 BST (UK) »
Brian

We have posted over on WW2TALK a few times.

I hadn't really considered looking at Escape and Evasion reports before, my Grandfather, along with so many others, escaped for about three weeks from Italian POW camp PG 54 in September 1943, brief mention in his Liberation Report, and then along with 12 other POW's from their Work Camp in Austria on 1 April 1945 and made their way to the Russian lines and repatriation via Odessa.

In your experince would Escape and Evasion reports also possibly have been submitted, and are they easy to locate, I have a list of all the names.

Also interested to learn about the work you have been doing on POW's in the North Africa Campagn, as you may recall my Grandfather was captured at Tobruk 21 June 1942.

Chris

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:04 BST (UK) »
Brian

We have posted over on WW2TALK a few times.

I hadn't really considered looking at Escape and Evasion reports before, my Grandfather, along with so many others, escaped for about three weeks from Italian POW camp PG 54 in September 1943, brief mention in his Liberation Report, and then along with 12 other POW's from their Work Camp in Austria on 1 April 1945 and made their way to the Russian lines and repatriation via Odessa.

In your experince would Escape and Evasion reports also possibly have been submitted, and are they easy to locate, I have a list of all the names.

Also interested to learn about the work you have been doing on POW's in the North Africa Campagn, as you may recall my Grandfather was captured at Tobruk 21 June 1942.

Chris

Hi Chris,
            I would consider the best place to look for anything would be in WO344 which are reports made by Liberated P.O.W.
Very doubtful that he made an Escapers Report,but would have mentioned any escapes on Liberation.

Brian

Offline jpresto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 August 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
I am seeking an evader report for RCAF member R128361 WO2 Cyril Simeon Barzeele shot down on 12/13 May 44.  I have a copy of his Appendix C from WO208/3350 in the UK National Archives, but have had no luck finding the main report.  The researcher I employed to do the search checked the card file and it indicated: “Main report not distributed.  App. C only (List 3.  IS9/WEA/MB1117)". 
Have checked military archives and national archives in Canada with no success, although Canadian military records have a document called a Loss of Bomber Aircraft report that refers to a "K Report", which I am not familiar with .  As well, the US National Archives and Records Administration has no reference to Barzeele's evader report.  Any suggestions as to other possible sources for the main report?

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 13 August 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
It is possible that the Canadian Archives have a copy of the original Report. They have Escapers  Reports open that are closed in the U.K.

WO 208/3305/1 contains Reports No. 455, 456, 457 are closed and exempt from F.O.I. Act.       These are open in Canada but were made members of the U.K. Forces.

The No.1117  given in the Barzeele appendix "C" should be duplicated in WO 208/3312 but is allocated to a Report made by Sgt. R. Arnott R.A.F.

Brian