Author Topic: dagnam  (Read 6828 times)

Offline gmt

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
dagnam
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 13:49 BST (UK) »
Am trying to find records (especially a birth) of an Irish relative, Patrick Dagnam (Dagenen, Dagman). Unfortunately there are many different spelling variations of the surname and the way I have read the surname from the marriage certificate it is spelt 'Dagenan'. His father's name was Charles (deceased in 1851 at time of son's marriage in England). On the 1881 England Census the transcriber has written place of birth as Clewn, Laytram, Ireland. I am assuming this has been mispelled and is in fact Leitrim, as many spellings of Irish counties back then would not easy for English transcribers. Any information would be gratefully receive as it would be fantastic to have a copy of Patrick's birth certificate so that I can continue with that side of the tree.
THOMSON - Canning Town, West Ham, Silver Town. MELLOWSHIP - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Edmonton.
COOK - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Edmonton. DULIEU/DU LIEU - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Edmonton, Bethnal Green. GIBBS - Shoreditch, Haringey, Hackney. HEDGER - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Middlesex, London, Bethnal Green. GREEN - Stisted, Elsenham, Tye Green, Essex.

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
Re: dagnam
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 07 23:48 BST (UK) »
There  is a parish in Leitrim called Cloone which looks like a good bet to me. There are also two townlands (minor administrative divisions of parishes ) called Cloone and several similar names which might be relevant.

I suggest you go to

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml

and look at the many helpful links there.

Get back to me if I can help further.

Pete
Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gmt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 07 12:24 BST (UK) »
ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECIEVED. HAD PROBLEMS SEARCHING THIS SITE. MAYBE ITS JUST ME BUT HAVE FOUND THE IRISH SITES DIFFICULT TO NAVIGATE.
THOMSON - Canning Town, West Ham, Silver Town. MELLOWSHIP - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Edmonton.
COOK - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Edmonton. DULIEU/DU LIEU - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Edmonton, Bethnal Green. GIBBS - Shoreditch, Haringey, Hackney. HEDGER - Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, Middlesex, London, Bethnal Green. GREEN - Stisted, Elsenham, Tye Green, Essex.

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 07 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again gmt

Sorry to hear you've had problems. i've been away and only just picked up your response.

If you go to 

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml

which is the 1901 census search page and enter Leitrim as County and Dagman as Head of Household , click Soundex box on and then Submit you should get 74 records as variants of Dagman. 19 of these are from Cloone parish. I know this is 50 years on from your man's birth but he might still be about!

You may be able to see something there which gives a clue towards your Patrick. There are 3 Patricks aged 50 plus as head of household in the list but none in Cloone.

If you goto the 1851 Griffiths search page on the Leitrim Roscommon site and enter Dag* the only name I got up was Redagham in Cloone parish, Cornamucklagh townland, which seems a long way removed from Dagnam etc!

Not sure if this is any help but it's all I can come up with at present.

Pete

Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gmt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 17:43 BST (UK) »
thank you for you help. I have Partrick Dagnam from 1861 living in Tottenham, London, England. It is before that I am having the problems. I do have a copy of his marriage certificate to Eliza Cato (DOM - 7 Jan 1851 at the Roman Catholic Church of Saint Mary Chapel in Hampstead). His father was called Charles Dagnam (Dagenam on certificate & deceased at time of marriage). I was hoping to try and get a copy of his birth certificate. Not sure if they were in England or Ireland before 1851.

I will search the site you have given me but any further help would be great.

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 23:06 BST (UK) »
Personally I would go with Duignan/Deignan.  This is a fairly common name around Cloone. 

How old was Patrick when he married?  The reason I ask is that a Patrick Duignan was baptised on 13th Feb 1831 to a Charles Duignan and Mary Rinn or Ryan at Drumdarkan, Cloone, Leitrim.

An added bonus here is that although Charles shows up in the Tithe Books in c. 1833 at Drumdarkan there are no Duignans with land there by the time of Griffiths Valuation in 1857 not are there any in 1901.  This is as should be if Charles was dead by 1851 and Patrick had moved to England.

Certainly worth consideration

Jim

Offline gmt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 19:47 BST (UK) »
ACCORDING TO THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE PARTICK WAS OF FULL AGE AND CHARLES DAGENAM (FATHER) IS GIVEN AS DECEASED. I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO KNOW HOW I COULD OBTAIN A COPY OF THE PARTICKS BAPTISM RECORDS AND HOW YOU CAME TO FIND THE INFORMATION. I AM EXTREMELY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR HELP.

GILLIAN

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 20:44 BST (UK) »
The parish records are on microfilm in the Mormon genealogical libraries (LDS).

I don't know what you mean by 'getting a copy' of the baptismal record.  Basically you just look at the records on film or in the parish book and make a note of it.

I tried to attach a tiff file of the appropriate page but it was too big.  If you give me your e-mail address I will send it to you

all the best

Jim

Offline gmt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 20:47 BST (UK) »
MUCH APPRECIATED JIM

GILL