Author Topic: "Wadham House Wentworth Street Vicarage" in 1896 COMPLETED  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
"Wadham House Wentworth Street Vicarage" in 1896 COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
On the marriage of my grandmother's adoptive parents in 1896, the space devoted to "Residence at the time of Marriage" simply says: "Wadham House   Wentworth Street   Vicarage".  It's not at all clear whether this is one address or two...
The wedding was at St Jude's Church in the parish of Whitechapel, and I was wondering whether someone could tell me where bride and groom might have been living - presumably nearby - at the time of their wedding.
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: "Wadham House Wentworth Street Vicarage" in 1896
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 07 10:52 BST (UK) »
Keith
Wadham House was in Wentworth Street.  I think it was a lodging house.  I'm not sure about the Vicarage bit but Wadham House could have been the vicarage at one time.

You might be interested in this http://www.eastendtalking.org.uk/OurHistory/legends/default.asp?ID=2

This was a very poor area.  There were also many Jews living there.  Wildermouth house was a very large poor lodging house.  Info taken from "East London sketches or Christian work and workers" by Henry Walker  1896

Hope this helps.  I won't be able to reply for a week as I'm off to sunny (I hope) Portugal in the morning

Wentworth Street is also known as Petticoat Lane where there is a famous street market.  Try a google

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: "Wadham House Wentworth Street Vicarage" in 1896
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 07 11:04 BST (UK) »
Silviaann,
Thanks very much for this most interesting info.  I hadn't realised that Wentworth Street was associated with Petticoat Lane, and am quite surprised that this couple were in any way associated with the area.  They were quite middle-class, I think, eventually ending up living on Highgate Hill...
Maybe they had some kind of connection with the Vicarage.  Anyway, thanks for those links, and most importantly have a wonderful time in Portugal.  Wish it was me going!
Very best wishes,
keith