Author Topic: Grahams of Workington  (Read 2770 times)

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grahams of Workington
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thomas Graham born 1859 in Workington ,married Mary Wilson, Their son Thomas was my grandfather born Birkenhead 1882 married Annie Holmes.
 Thomas born Workington was the son of John Graham and Jane Hodgeson. Johns father was David Graham born late 1700s married to Mary Sharp. Hit a brick wall !! Help needed please or suggestions for research
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Grahams of Workington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 20:41 BST (UK) »
Workington at that time would be sucking in people from the surrounding countryside. If you put in your search engine " bishops transcripts dearham", you should find a site with all the surrounding parishes that is searchable on the computer. We grahams are prolific so it might be easier looking for the hodgeson or the sharp.
Mine migrated to workington after WW1 so I can't help you directly.
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 07 19:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help,I will follow that up,who knows it may give me a lead .There are so many Grahams !
                  Jsearch
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline johnbarleycorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 07 00:45 BST (UK) »
It may just be the popularity of these surnames in the area but I have a line including Grahams, Sharps and Hodgsons in Cumberland (though I haven't found any in Workington yet). My direct ancestors are John Graham b ~1790 who married Esther Sharp, who I believe was the one baprised 1792 in Bowness (there were rather a lot of Sharps in Bowness around this time). John and Esther married in Gilcrux, later living in Plumbland.

I believe (but haven't yet been able to confirm) that Esther Sharp's parents were Jeremiah Sharp and Mary Hodgson. Incidentally, I believe these Sharps are connected to the Russell family who moved from Cumberland to Birkenhead via a Sarah Sharp from Parsonby, Cumberland. All I know about this family is the fact that Sarah is listed on this chap's family history site:

http://www.cartar.com/families/russell_england/russell_family.htm

I thought that might be interesting due to your Birkenhead connection.

I'm still trying to piece the story of my Grahams/Sharps/Hodgsons together and can't quite find the evidence to confirm my theories, so would love to speak to anyone researching the same folk.

JB.

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 07 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your information, it is a possibility that the families we are researching are connected., but we have nothing to verify it at present and yes Grahams were prolific in this area !.Perhaps our David Graham was related to your John Graham b.1790 and Mary to Esther Sharp.?
The Russell family site was interesting ,thank you and also the Birkenhead connection. I will have to think hard about this !
Do you have any information on John Grahams or Esther Sharps brother & sisters and also their children, I would be interested to see if there is a David & Mary.
 I can give you  dates I have, if you require them.
                                        J.