Author Topic: Thomas Carlyle Dumfrieshire  (Read 3896 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Carlyle Dumfrieshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 March 07 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

The marriage details I found on IGI at family search. It was an actual extract rather than submitted info. I haven't checked, but the marriage with full refs., may well be on the freeBMD site that I posted earlier as well.

It would probably be a good idea for you to have a look at the help guide here on RootsChat by Pam "where to start with Scottish Research" which covers what to expect and research sources pre and post the start of official registration: www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

OPR entries (indexes and images of original entries) are available at Scotlands People, the official pay to view site for OPRs and post reg. BMDs and censuses. You can also find details (actual extract from the OPRs or submitted details) on IGI at family search - good to start there first given it's free to use.

Scotlands People (SP) is a fantastic and economic resource as long as you are careful and strategic about your searches and viewings. You buy units (30 units for £6GB. It costs £0.20 to view results of a search page, then £1 to view an actual certificate (or census page/OPR entry) image on line that you can then save on to your computer and print off. It doesn't get better than that. Have a look at this link www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html regarding how to optimise your use of SP (and save units  ;))

Good luck and give a shout if you get stuck.

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DJH

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Carlyle Dumfrieshire
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 March 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. Pauline