Author Topic: Ledsam of Edgbaston 1841 -91 COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 8318 times)

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ledsam of Edgbaston 1841 -91 COMPLETED THANKS
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 July 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I am always interested in more research, it is finding the time that is the problem! Henry Thomas Clutton Salt Ledsam married Lucy Sophia Alsop. Her great grandfather's brother was my husband's 3x Gt Gd father. It's quite a distant link, but I have had a lot of fun tracing them.
   Are you interested in tracing the Ledsams? I think I did get some information on them when I visited Birmingham archives. I can send you detail of what I have on them if you wish. Let me know.
Kay
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline grinzo59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there all Ledsam relatives,
I am researching the Ledsam family tree, my grandfather was James Goddington Ledsam, his parents were George Moreton and Anne nee Lamrock, George Moreton's parents were Joseph Ledsam and Frances "Fanny" Barbara nee Jackson, Joseph Ledsam married twice and his second wife was Anna Clara (Anna Maria) Salt.
The Ledsam family were a very rich family and owned lots of property in Birmingham, they are also owned Weoley Castle
Regards Janene
Ledsam

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janene,
                Good to hear from a second Ledsam family member. Also good to see where the Salt name came from. I don't have a huge amount of information, but am willing to share anything I have. There are many documents relating to the Ledsam family in Birmingham Archives, including I think a pamplett about the ownership of Weoley Castle. I see you are in Oz, I would be interested to hear which generation travelled out.

Kay

Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline grinzo59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 March 12 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
George Moreton was the second son of Joseph Ledsam (he had an older brother Joseph who died when he was 15) and his mother Frances Jackson died when George was 3, so Joseph Moreton married again to Anna Clara (Anna Maria) Salt and then they had 4 more children.  Apparently when George got older he didn't get along with his stepmother and there was some sort of fight and George went to Sydney, Australia where he met Ann Lamrock a divorced mother of one girl, they married and had 5 children and one of them was my grandfather James Goddington Ledsam, he married Mary Mabel Payne and they had 8 children one of which is my mother Gwendoline June, I hope that all makes sense.
Whereabouts are you from?
I went to England in 2010 and had a tour of the Weoley Castle Ruins, it was wonderful.
Regards Janene
Ledsam

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 March 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
How interesting. When you mentioned James Goddington previously, I thought you meant the one born 1836, but from your last reply I can see that you are talking about a nephew of the same name. I shall send you a personal message later with my e-mail address so that we can discuss things further. I can already tell you that Joseph & Ann Maria Salt had a further 5 children that I know of & I might be able to put you in contact with a couple of their descendants.
   I am in Wales, I spent a day researching in Birmingham, but my interest was really the Alsops who married into the Ledsams, so I didn't do the Ledsams justice when I was there When I retire, I hope to spend at least a week there, but at 51, I have a way to go!!, I can take you back to Thomas born 1740, but being an educated man, George Moreton possibly documented that for his descendants.
Kay

Offline grinzo59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 November 23 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,  Long time since we have spoken.  I hope you are well.  Still looking at bits and pieces to do with the Ledsam family.  My cousin's wife actually did a whole book on the family, so probably know it all by now.  I probably won't make it back to England again due to ill health but I so pleased I got to go and see Weoley Castle.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see all that happened in their family and I wonder if there are any relatives around.  I did a DNA test with ancestry but haven't had many matches from England. I have had a match with someone in America and sent a message last year but he hasn't replied.  Looking forward to see if you have done any more research.  Thanks Janene
Ledsam