Author Topic: The Topham Family - Deeping St James, Lincoln  (Read 14531 times)

Offline andy14976

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Topham Family - Deeping St James, Lincoln
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
Its a while since I visited, but thought you might be interested in this snippet if its not past its sell-by date:
Researching for my book about Deeping St Nicholas, I discovered that James Haynes, of Wensor Farm, and who figures in the Topham story, donated some of his farmland in Littleworth Drove, Deeping St Nicholas, as the site for a new  Methodist chapel built in 1867.  The chapel was rebuilt in 1922, so the original is no longer.

Offline peterq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello andy14976 I did know about this, though I don't think he was a methodist himself. Am I right in thinking the chapel has been sold recently? I'm also interested interested in other places in Deeping Fen where Haynes and Topham family members lived and farmed. I'm interested to hear more about your book. Peter

Offline andy14976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 July 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Thank you for your reply.
I think the chapel has been sold, but I don't know when.  I live 37 miles from Hop Pole, so can't visit often.  My last visit to there was 17 April, when I photographed the chapel; there were no estate agent signs outside.
    Thank you also for your interest in my book, which is nearly finished.  It will certainly be available as a CD.  I will have to tout my manuscript around a bit to see if any publisher will accept it, as I can't spare the upfront cash to get a printed version. (I did this for my first book about family pubs in South Holland and it was a significant financial loss.)  Please e-mail me direct on and I will put you on my "interested" list. (You'd be the third, so the big time beckons I don't think!!)
    Might you be interested in the first book?  You can see a picture of it if you google https://www.southhollandlife.com/2017/04/new-book-pubs-south-holland-elsewhere/

With kind regards
Andy