Author Topic: Petersham Marriage  (Read 993 times)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Petersham Marriage
« on: Tuesday 27 March 07 12:09 BST (UK) »
William Parslow married Jemima Milton in Petersham, Surrey on 5th September 1819. Does anyone know where I am likely to find a record of this marriage?  Would there be one in Richmond Library where I know they keep some records?

Further information: 
William Parslow (born 1798, Kingston upon Thames) was my Gt Gt Grandfather. I think Jemima Milton was his first wife.  My Gt Gt Grandmother Mary Ann Fowler, formerly White, was his second wife.  I am having difficulty in proving who was his first wife. 
I know his son from this first marriage was William Parslow born 1821 who married Maria Duffell.  They named one of their daughters Jemima, so I think I might be correct in thinking Jemima Milton was his first wife.

Any help would be appreciated.
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Petersham Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 12:41 BST (UK) »
The original registers are at the Surrey History Centre in Woking.  I have checked Familia and Richmond Library does not appear to have a transcript or copy of Petersham records.

I cannot see a burial for a Jemima Parslow in Surrey - when did the second marriage take place?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Petersham Marriage
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Little Nell. 

I have never been able to find a marriage for my 2 x Gt Grandparents, which may suggest Jemima didn't die, he just left her and took up with Mary Ann.  Mary Ann had been married to someone called Fowler and came from Bedfordshire.  Her maiden name was White.
Their first child was Sarah Parslow born November 1840 and the family were on the 1841 census at 1 Charlton Street, Marylebone.  Their second daughter Mary, born 1849, was my Great Grandmother, who ended up marrying Mary Ann 's nephew, John White,  from Clophill, Bedfordshire.
The Parslows were a very prolific family in the Kingston upon Thames area.  William and Mary Ann eventually settled in High Street, Hampton Wick which is just over the river.  By 1861 they were living in Albert Road, Kingston.
I haven't been able to find any reference to Jemima except on Familysearch.  Her father is given as Daniel Milton and she was born in Thursley, Surrey.  The same place of birth as the children on that first marriage.

Hope I haven't confused you with this complicated branch of my family, but I seem to have come up against a brick wall with the usual internet sites.

I will take a trip to Woking and see what I can find out. I don't live too far away.

Carole
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others