Author Topic: 1851/61/71 census look-up, please - Kay - Kildwick/Cononly  (Read 23746 times)

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/61/71 census look-up, please - Kay - Kildwick/Cononly
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 July 09 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am now wondering about the Kildwick connection. Joseph Golding Kay was born in Manchester. His wife Rachel Smalley was born Kildwick 1825. Her sister, Elizabeth, born 1828 married Joseph's younger brother Henry.

The earliest census I have is 1851 where the Kay's and Edmonson's are in Blackburn. In 1841 Margaret and husband were in Kildwick. Both Joseph and Henry married their Kildwick girls in Blackburn. They must have all been living in Kildwick around 1841.

Amanda

Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline arden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 July 09 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda,

thanks for all your efforts. Yes, that's a thought. I hadn't considered that there might be two wives, one Yorkshire, one Lancashire. I had been assuming that Margaret and Mary Ann were one and the same or totally unconnected. Mary was born in Ripon and in 1861 was living in Blackburn with husband John. If Margaret was in Kildwick in 1841 her daughter Mary Jane would have been months old. Was she then living with John and if so does the record show his profession?

Thanks

Offline arden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda,
thanks for the 1841 information about Margaret.
When I looked closely at the written census record, although the search had logged her as Margaret, it is actually MaryAnn. Still no husband at home. It does suggest that John was living with an employer. Must search for large houses around Kildwick dating back to the 1840's.
Thank you so much for the tip.

Arden

Offline Joywilt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 02:36 BST (UK) »
hi I have just come onto this site and have lots of info for the Golding Kays as I am researching my mothers line. William and Mary are my great grandparents,Joseph and Rachel being my great great grandparents. What info would you like if I can help :

Offline yorkshirekays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 09:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking for clarification of Joseph Golding Kay's birth and at which church or region of Manchester. I know his birth date of 1821 from his gravestone in Cononley, but have not yet found his actual birthplace. All the census returns say born in Manchester but there are a lot of Joseph Kay's born in Manchester that year! Also, I have a copy of Joseph and Rachel's marriage certificate which states Rachel's father as Joseph and also Joseph's father as Joseph, however I have read on this site that Joseph's father was George Kay. Can anyone clarify this and give the dates of 'George's' birth/death? I have not yet found them on the 1841 census and would be grateful of any further information regarding the early Golding Kay line. Where does the 'Golding' come from, for instance, and does anyone know which mills or silk manufacturing business they owned?

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Yorkshirekays

I would probably say that you have the best proof as to Joseph's father being Joseph and not George. I have often made the wrong connection. George could well be Joseph Snr's brother. Unfortunately, I only have the most basic of information from the internet which I am sure have have too. Ideally the next best piece of evidence is going to be the 1841 census. Any joy with that? It may be a mammoth task to trawl through all the returns for the right Joseph but well worth it in the end.

Best regards

Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline arden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Joywilt,

I am not actually researching the Kays, but trying to clarify an Edmondson thread. I would be grateful if you could identify the Margaret Edmondson who is staying with Joseph in Blackburn. Did Joseph have a sister called margaret? If so do you have any details of her marriage or whereabouts after 1851?

Many thanks

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
The only evidence of Margaret I have is the 1851 census transcript as detailed earlier naming Margaret as Joseph's sister. I'm afraid as yet I don't know who Margaret was married to.

Sorry

Amanda
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline Joywilt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 19:42 BST (UK) »
hi
my mother is the daughter of Rachel golding kay who is daughter of William Golding Kay son of Joseph Golding Kay and Rachel. The 1841 census Joseph age 20 and twin sister Elizabeth living with mother Mary Kay  age 40 at Clog Street, Haughton Green. A Mr Croft has done a good website just google - Joseph Golding Kay. It appears we are all talking about the same family. If thoughts are that Margaret Edmundson was Joseph's sister as shown in 1851 census  as 37 then Mary would have been only 13 when she was born?? I too seem to be at a loss 1841 back but I will persevere!