Author Topic: Lewis Family - Derry farm, Whitchurch  (Read 2764 times)

Offline bry_lewis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lewis Family - Derry farm, Whitchurch
« on: Tuesday 27 March 07 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody,

Thanks to all who've helped me in the past  :)

I've been offline for a few months but I'm back with more information and a few more questions.

I've managed to establish a link between my William Lewis and Jane Jones who married in 1831 in Whitchurch and the Lewis family (Edmund and Rachel) at Derry Farm, Whitchurch.

I found an entry in the Cambrian index for the marriage of Mr William Lewis of Derry Farm to Jane Jones of the Hollybush Inn at Whitchurch, Cardiff.

So I now know that William (b.1806) was the son of Edmund (b.1774,m.1796, d.1837) and Rachel.
Their other children were Edmund, Hannah, Sarah, and Frederick

I have also found a reference to a will for a Lewis Lewis dated 1735 which leaves Deri/Derry to his son Thomas (most of the other leases/lands etc were left to his brother Edward).

From the Glamorgan parish index I have found that a Thomas Lewis of Deri/Derry married Elizabeth (nee ?) and had a son Edmund (around 1754), they also appear to have had a son Edmond in 1749 who seems to have died young.

Given the Deri/Derry connection is it reasonable to assume that Williams grandfather was also called Edmund and born in 1754 to Thomas and Elizabeth?

If anyone has anymore information on the Lewis family from Deri/Derry farm, Whitchurch I'd be most grateful.
I'd particularly like to know the maiden name of Edmund's wife (Thomas and Elizabeth's son), if possible.

Cheers,
Bryan.
 :)
Lewis - North Yorks, Glamorgan, Monmouth
Jackson - North Yorks
Ord - North Yorks

Offline JeffH1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis Family - Derry farm, Whitchurch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 April 23 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Bryan,

It's 16 years since you posted it, so I'm just checking whether you're still...'with us'...in 2023?
I hope so (and I don't mean that selfishly).

I've only just come across your post, above; I too am descended from William and Jane Lewis (nee Jones) of Whitchurch, Glamorganshire, and, like you, I too am (originally) from the North East of England, specifically Middlesbrough/Port Clarence/Billingham/Norton/Stockton. My mother was a Lewis, b.1922 to Edmund & Kate Lewis (nee Harrison), of Buxton St, Stockton.

In my own research, I've just arrived back at Edmund & Rachel Lewis (nee ???) but am currently brickwalled. If you're still around, can I ask whether you managed to definitively get back further beyond them?

Best wishes,

Jeff