Author Topic: Regiment number  (Read 5099 times)

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment number
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 23:13 BST (UK) »

i have just had a quick look at the war diary and it's not easy to read, but my translation is that thomas died as a result of heavy artillery fire on the battalion near a place called TIBER COPSE, you would have to do a little searching to place it exactly, it wasn't a good day for the batt, they lost 12 men killed and 20 wounded

the MIC doesn't say a lot other than Manchester regiment, i will see if i can get a look at the full medal roll ( btw he didn't go over seas until after 1915)

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandmother Gerith Mair
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Harribobs your help is much apprecaited, and as his sister always told me the photograph was Tom, I suppose he did change regiments at some point.
Jones - Rhondda Valley/Neath
Harvey - Swansea/Calstock Cornwall
Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Vernon - Cheshire/Lancashire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Tozer - Calstock Cornwall
Brooks - Devon
Bonhomme - Calstock Cornwall/Jersey/Normandy
Massey - Lancashire

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 23:29 BST (UK) »

a little further information, he was killed in the Battle of Broodseinde, part of 3rd Ypres (Passchendaele)

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 March 07 08:34 BST (UK) »
Agree with Harribobs, its the Welsh. He's not on my list of Swansea Battalion men but it is not a full list. And the Welsh Regiment raised over 30 bns in the war so he could be in one of those.

As H says maybe he transferred.

On the 17th Welsh Graham Davies told me the web address has changed to:

http://www.17thwelsh.org.uk/

You will still get the 'old' site on some searches (fsnet I think) but the org.uk address is the correct one that will be updated in future.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandmother Gerith Mair
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 March 07 21:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both. Tom has always been one of my favourite ancestors and I remember asking his sister to tell me stories about him when I was a child. This is the first time that I'm managed to get some information about what eventually happened to him and I'm very grateful.
Jones - Rhondda Valley/Neath
Harvey - Swansea/Calstock Cornwall
Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Vernon - Cheshire/Lancashire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Tozer - Calstock Cornwall
Brooks - Devon
Bonhomme - Calstock Cornwall/Jersey/Normandy
Massey - Lancashire