Author Topic: Fed Up With Genealogy Tree Thieves  (Read 25639 times)

Offline cilvrnum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fed Up With Genealogy Tree Thieves
« Reply #144 on: Saturday 21 July 07 14:42 BST (UK) »

And do be aware that 

Very, very, aware.   ;)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Saturday 21 July 07 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Moderator for amending cilvrnum's post.

Of course I'm pleased that it now doesn't appear that I expressed what were actually cilvrnum's views  ;D 

But ...   You've also removed that part of my post which tried to explain about modifying a post, about where the 'end of quote' should come, and about checking in preview before posting or saving in order to see whether or not the modification has worked  :'(

As I said elsewhere today, I'm a great believer in the old adage that if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

So I always try to do this - whether it's something as trivial as how to quote, or how to shrink long URLs or something more important like summarizing all information available when posing a query and providing links to other relevant posts or something absolutely fundamental like where to search for information which is wanted.

Best regards,

JAP

Offline cilvrnum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Saturday 21 July 07 16:53 BST (UK) »
I didnt think I had quoted all of JAP's post, but if I did, it wasnt intentional.  I couldnt remember.  I do normally Preview before posting.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Saturday 21 July 07 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi cilvrnum,

It's not just in genealogical research that it's a good idea never to make assumptions  ;)

And do be aware that anything you post on genealogical threads on RootsChat and similar groups, lists and forums is, incontrovertibly, in the public domain.

JAP

No it is not everything that appears on the various mailings lists and forums is still the copyright of the author in most countries including the UK.

Just because the public have access to material it does not make it "in the public domain" as far as copyright is concerned.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Saturday 21 July 07 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Guy,

Did I mention copyright ;D  I think not!  Not only am I far too much of a pedant but I wouldn't be game to  ::)

Cheers  8)

JAP

Offline cilvrnum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Saturday 21 July 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
Just because the public have access to material it does not make it "in the public domain" as far as copyright is concerned.

It brings us back to the fact that a lot feel aggrieved, and with good reason, when their data is used by others without their asking and without their giving credit to its originator. [Not wishing to get embroiled in Copyright law, of course] :-X

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Saturday 21 July 07 17:22 BST (UK) »
OK enough!

We have done this many time, all ways up, copyright, pinching trees, round and round.

Locking this topic now before we all come to blows...

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)