Author Topic: Wayland Work House, Bradfield Berks  (Read 7113 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wayland Work House, Bradfield Berks
« on: Wednesday 28 March 07 13:02 BST (UK) »
I am interested in finding out more about the above.  I understand  it was a work house until it closed down and became a hospital in the 1960's?  A great aunt was banished there at the age of 16 (I don't know her birth date possibly around 1900?) and, as far as I know, remained there until her death in 1973.
Any info appreciated, Abiam

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wayland Work House, Bradfield Berks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Wayland House, now partly a housing development, was Bradfield Workhouse and Infirmary from 1835.

If you go to http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Bradfield/Bradfield.shtml  there is an article and pictures old and new.

Pupils who attending Southend Bradfield Primary and Junior School in the 1950's (as I did) will remember that once a year the whole school walked crocodile fashion to the little chapel of St Simon and St Jude for a service. Why and on what day I cannot remember.  Records for the Workhouse are held at the Record Office, but for those after 1906 the 100 year  closure probably applies.
Regards
Vicwinannn
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I will look at that site.  Not that I am very hopeful because of the 100 year disclosure,
Regards abiam

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Abiam,
If you can tell us the name of your great aunt, someone might be able to help with her family, if not with the Workhouse connection.
Regards
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 22:47 BST (UK) »

Hi,
Thank you but I have all her family ie, mother, father, brothers and sisters but none of their descendents (my cousins) know why she was sent there.
Regards Abiam