Author Topic: Halesowen parish lookup  (Read 1206 times)

Offline ozinnz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Halesowen parish lookup
« on: Thursday 29 March 07 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hello - hopefully this is in the right place - and it's not supposed to be in the Staffordshire board - forgive an antipodean if it is wrong  ;)
I have searched a family branch back to the 1841 census and would like to know if two people born 1811 and 1806 are brothers.
Thomas WATERHOUSE 1811 Halesowen and
James WATERHOUSE 1806 Halesowen

I have tried to look on ancestry.co on the staffs parish register but can't find anything and I'm not sure where / how else to look. I can't order birth certificate because it's before 1837...
Thanks in advance
Emma
Baker Middlesex,
Everett, Wilkins Lanham Sussex
Williams, Waterhouse West Midlands

Offline ridgehill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Halesowen parish lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
I checked the Halesowen parish records but couldn't find any entries for Waterhouse.

The 1806 records were hardly readable, the writing was very small and faint, but could read the 1811 records, but no Thomas Waterhouse

Offline ozinnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 07 02:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking for me.  :D
The 1841 census has James born in Halesowen - Thomas I have found in other family trees also born Halesowen. I was trying to determine if they were brothers because I thought it was unlikely that there were many Waterhouses in the one place.
If anyone has any ideas of what else I can do I would love suggestions.
Baker Middlesex,
Everett, Wilkins Lanham Sussex
Williams, Waterhouse West Midlands

Offline halesowenroots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Look to the past, the present and the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 April 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello ozinnz
I've just seen your posting and think by not interpreting the census properly, you may be looking in the wrong place.  The 1841 census actually says that  James was born in the county and was living in Oldbury in the Parish of Halesowen.
 Oldbury was a detached part of the parish of Halesowen in 1841 and the distance between the respective town centres was about 6 miles. I doubt if the parents of James (or Thomas) would have travelled to Halesowen to baptise their son/s.

Regards

john
Holloway in Halesowen
Roberts in Ruabon
Reynolds in Church Stretton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 April 07 19:35 BST (UK) »
Didn't Oldbury split from Halesowen 1841? So it seems reasonable to look in the Halesowen records  for baptisms in 1806 and 1811.
Genuki has the following places all within 5 miles of Oldbury

Rowley Regis (2)
West Bromwich (3)
Tipton (4)
Hales owen (4)

and a few others too. Rowley Regis is certainly worth checking. And they may have been baptised other than the Parish Church too. I would consider anything not covered by the IGI since they don't seem to be on there (or any of their children that I have checked).
Not much help, sorry.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk