Author Topic: Kilbride Meath  (Read 7714 times)

Offline mnbarrett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kilbride Meath
« on: Thursday 29 March 07 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help me with some information about Kilbride in Meath. I have recently found out a relative was from there. I have looked on google earth, and it seems to be a very small town.

Does anyone know what parish I should look up etc for to try and find further details of the family. I would be looking for a birth about 1840.

Thanks
Researching Barrett - Behan - Sinnott - Kirwan - Smith - Murphy - All So far from Dublin South City, Ireland. And recently Barrett from Kilbride Co Meath, a DMP member and his wife surname Devine

Offline the wanderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilbride Meath
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 07 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hello
There are two Kilbride townlands in County Meath.
(1) Kilbride, Barony of Morgallion.Civil parish Nobber.Electoral Division Nobber.
(2) Kilbride, Barony of Upper Navan. Civil parish Moymet. Electoral Division Kilbride.
Kilbride in The Barony of Upper Navan is the largest of the two.

Best Regards,
                The Wanderer.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 07 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help me with some information about Kilbride in Meath. I have recently found out a relative was from there. I have looked on google earth, and it seems to be a very small town.

Does anyone know what parish I should look up etc for to try and find further details of the family. I would be looking for a birth about 1840.

Thanks

Hiya mnbarrett,

What's the surname of your ancestor from Kilbride ??? Your list of people that you are researching shows that they all come from Dublin South City. It makes no mention of Co. Meath.

Chris 

Offline mnbarrett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 07 19:48 BST (UK) »
hi christopher,

the name is Thomas Barrett, I just recently found out he was a member of the Dublin Metropolitan Police, born abt 1848 in Kilbride, from a death entry in the Freeman's Journal.

As per my details, I am used to researching Dublin City, and I could do with any help or advice about Kilbride / Meath sources.

Thanks,

Michelle.
Researching Barrett - Behan - Sinnott - Kirwan - Smith - Murphy - All So far from Dublin South City, Ireland. And recently Barrett from Kilbride Co Meath, a DMP member and his wife surname Devine

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 07 20:04 BST (UK) »
Michelle,

Griffiths Valuation has 16 listings of Barretts living in Co. Meath but none in the parish of Kilbride.

There is only one Thomas Barrett and he was in Athboy.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 07 20:06 BST (UK) »
Michelle,

It would be worthwhile following up on his DMP record which would give you more details on him.

http://www.esatclear.ie/~ric/DMPpage1.html

This website is a good place to start

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline mnbarrett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for that. I have been in touch with Dublin Castle, several times, and they keep forgetting to attach the record. So I am waiting for that, I have no idea if Thomas died in the line of duty, he was 26 when he died, and was stationed in the barracks at 42 Manor Street in Smithfield. I can't wait to find out more.

To make it even more complicated, the librarian in Pearse Library helped us figure out that he does have an RIC number but it's higher than expected as he was DMP and it was converted in 1922. But I have found out that he was awarded the King's Police Medal in 1901, after his death in 1873, but i haven't been able to find  out anything else about that.

All help appreciated, thanks.

Michelle.

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 April 07 22:44 BST (UK) »
Michelle,

That does confuse me. As I understand it, the registers for the RIC and DMP were separate as they were two distinct forces. It was only after 1922 that both forces were merged into the present day Garda Siochana.

I would have been surprised to find Thomas in both registers unless he left one force to join the other.

Perhaps things will be clearer when you eventually get that attachment/record.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline mnbarrett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 April 07 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie

This is where I got the information that the librarian helped me find.

"Excerpts taken from the book ‘A complete alphabetical list of the DMP by Jim Herlihy)

Between 30th april and 30 Aug 1922, 30 members of theDMP were transferred to the RIC and were awarded RIC Pensions. In addition to their DMP ones. Seven of them were holders of the kings police medal for gallantry ; Bruton, Devon, Kelly, Healy, Barrett, Bennett and Denis."

So when we looked up my Thomas Barrett, an exerpt from the book below we found why he was given the medal.

"Thomas Barrett (67b) DMP Constable 7499, Born in Kilbride, Co Meath.
“On  25th April Constable Barrett showed conspicuous bravery in arresting and disarming a man who was treatening to shoot 2 soldiers “ PRO Ho45/10954/306338 L.G. Jan 1917"

Unfourtunatly when I looked for his death record in the BMD he was not listed, so thats when I looked up the freemans journal and found his death recorded there.
With all this good weather I have been stuck in the garden to take a little break from all the family searching, but I think I will have to try and go in to the library soon to try find out more.